Jump to Navigation

Records from Anderson County

Creator: Anderson County (Kan.)

Date: 1857 - 1975

Level of Description: Coll./Record Group

Material Type: Government record

Call Number: Unavailable

Unit ID: 216629

Abstract: Paper records include juvenile court appearance dockets and ledger sheets, dated 1959-1975, documenting the actions and judgments of various juvenile delinquency cases heard by the district court. Microfilmed records include, from the district and probate court: civil appearance dockets 1871-1919, marriage licenses and records 1857-1912, naturalization records 1867-1929, will records 1869-1919. Records from the Register of Deeds include: deed record 1857-1902 with a related index dated 1857-1911. Also included are Garnett City cemetery records dated 1911-1922, record of physicians, midwives, and undertakers 1911-1918, and the school district boundary and employed teacher's records, dated 1870-1876, from the Superintendent of Public Instruction. The records date back to the territorial period and the bulk of the records are dated between the mid 19th to early 20th centuries.

Space Required/Quantity: Microfilm + oversize material.

Title (Main title): Records from Anderson County

Administrative History

Administrative History: Anderson County was established on August 25, 1855 and organized on January 07, 1856. It was named for Joseph C. Anderson, member of the territorial legislature and speaker pro tem of the House. Prior to 1854, the territory that became Anderson County was part of the Kansas Reserve of the Pottawatomie Indians, who were removed from Indiana in 1837 by the U.S. government. Their principal village was just across the northern boundary in Franklin County, at the place known as Dutch Henry's Crossing on Pottawatomie Creek. The first Euro-American settlement in the county began early in May, 1854, on what later became the site of the town of Greeley. During the 1850s, Anderson County was the site of many pro-slavery versus anti-slavery skirmishes, reflecting the Bleeding Kansas era.

The first town in the county was named Kansas City, and was located on Iantha Creek on the west half of section 27 and the east half of section 28, township 19 south, range 18 east. Dr. G.W. Cooper, from Louisville, Kentucky, laid out the town in May 1856; its name was soon changed to Iantha.

The town of Shannon, located in section 31, township 20, range 20 and named in honor of territorial governor Wilson Shannon, was named the county seat in 1856. The town was surveyed in 1857 by Dr. Preston Bowen, and construction of county buildings began, but in 1859 the county seat was removed to Garnett and the Shannon town site was soon abandoned.

Garnett is the county seat and largest city. Anderson County is twenty-four miles square. It is located in the second tier of counties west of Missouri, fifty miles south of the Kansas River and seventy miles north of Oklahoma. Townships include Indian Creek, Jackson, Lincoln, Lone Elm, Monroe, North Rich, Ozark, Putnam, Reeder, Rich, Union [now defunct], Walker, Washington, Welda, and Westphalia.

[Kansas State Historical Society. "Kansas Counties - Anderson County, Kansas." http://www.kshs.org/genealogists/places/counties.php?county=AN (accessed June 4, 2009).]

Index Terms

Subjects

    Anderson County (Kan.) -- Genealogy
    Anderson County (Kan.) -- History
    Anderson County (Kan.) -- Records and correspondence
    Anderson County (Kan.) -- Statistics, Vital
    Civil law -- Kansas -- Anderson County
    Marriage records -- Kansas -- Anderson County
    Naturalization records -- Kansas -- Anderson County
    Probate records -- Kansas -- Anderson County

Creators and Contributors


Agency Classification:

    Local Government Agencies. Anderson County.