Kansas Historical Foundation Spring Meeting
The 2012 Kansas Historical Foundation Spring Meeting will honor the people who gave our state its name. In connection with the Kansas Archeology Training Program, this year’s activities feature a rare opportunity to learn about and observe a Kaw Indian site currently being investigated.
The former Fool Chief’s Village (14SH305) dates from around 1830 when the Kaws were moved from the Manhattan vicinity eastward to be closer to a new agency near Leavenworth. The site was located north of the Kansas River. Since an upcoming highway safety project around the intersection of U.S. 24 and Menoken Road will negatively impact the site, the archeology work will focus on recovering data. In addition to the archeology tour, activities also include a visit to the Charles Curtis House Museum. Curtis, of Kaw heritage, served as vice president from 1929 to 1933, the only American Indian to hold that
- History of the Fool Chief’s site
- Why it was chosen to investigate
- Tour of archeology training program
- Archeology lab
- Tour of the Curtis House Museum
We invite you to join us for this special Kansas Historical Foundation 2012 Spring Meeting! Find registration information her, or request an application by email or phone at email@example.com or 785-272-8681, ext. 209. Space is limited to the first 50, please register early. Registration deadline is May 31, 2012.