On October 15, 1881, Reverend Dr. Carl A. Swensson founded Bethany Academy as a part of the Bethany Lutheran Church in Lindsborg, Kansas. Bethany Academy grew and was renamed in 1886 as the Bethany Normal Institute. In 1887 it was renamed Bethany College and Normal Institute, and in 1889, Bethany College. In the early 1900s Bethany College became accredited and became a member of the National Association of Schools of Music. Bethany’s mascot is the Swedes in honor of the school’s Swedish heritage.
More information on the university’s history can be found on the Bethany College website.
Entry: Bethany College
Author: Haydan Vosburgh
Date Created: June 2012
Date Modified: July 2012
The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.