Fort Scott was established in 1842 as a part of a group of frontier forts charged with keeping the peace between American Indians and white settlers. Fort Scott was named after General Winfield Scott, Commander during the War of 1812 and Mexican-American War. Many of the troops stationed at Fort Scott were sent to aid in the Mexican-American War, which led the fort to becoming abandoned in 1853. This was not the last time American troops would occupy Fort Scott however. During the Bleeding Kansas era settlers occupied the abandoned fort, and Fort Scott became a battleground between those who were proslavery and those who were antislavery in the 1850s. Since Fort Scott lies close to the border between Kansas and Missouri it remained a combat zone through the Civil War. Soldiers were repeatedly sent to Fort Scott to help restore order, but violence escalated after the soldiers left. Fort Scott became a major supply depot and housed a general hospital during the Civil War, which made it a target for Confederate troops. Confederate General Sterling Price tried to take Fort Scott twice, but failed on both attempts. The military made its last appearance at Fort Scott during the building of the railways in Kansas. Some opposed the building of the railroad, and soldiers were often dispatched to prevent any disruptions.
Entry: Fort Scott
Author: Haydan Vosburgh
Date Created: June 2012
Date Modified: February 2013
The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.