Frank C. Squires
Architect 1871- 1934
Frank Squires was born in Columbus, Ohio in November of 1871 to J.H. and Jennie Shimp Squires. In 1879 the family purchased land in Pottawatomie County and they moved to Topeka around 1885. Squires was educated at the Topeka Art School and took a special course in architecture at Columbia University. He was a prominent member of the community having belonged to the Masons, Elks Club and Co-Operative Club.
Squires is known for his partnership with James Holland, which began in 1898. Together their firm designed several courthouses and other public buildings. Among the buildings Squires is credited with designing are the Kansas Children's Home Society, the addition to the Central Paper Company Building, the Bank of Palmer, remodeling the Majestic Theater, Topeka City Auditorium, the Manual Training School, Lafayette School, and the Parkhurst-Davis building, all in Topeka. Squires also became known for his residential designs, having designed many prominent houses in Topeka and elsewhere. Squires had his own firm by 1910. He died March 8, 1934 and is buried at the Topeka Cemetery.
Find Frank Squires designed buildings in Kansas listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Entry: Squires, Frank C.
Author: Kansas Historical Society
Author information: The Kansas Historical Society is a state agency charged with actively safeguarding and sharing the state's history.
Date Created: May 2011
Date Modified: September 2014
The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.