James C. Holland
James Clinton Holland, one of Kansas' most prolific architects, was born in Lima, Ohio in 1853. He was educated at Northwestern Ohio Normal University and the School of Architecture at Cornell University in New York. He moved to Topeka in 1885 from Ohio where he had been working in an architectural firm.
In 1895, Holland became state architect and the central wing of the capitol (not including the dome) was completed under his direction. He was state architect until 1897 when he resigned to accept a position as architect with the Santa Fe Railroad Company. In 1899 he left Santa Fe and started his own firm in Topeka. He was joined in partnership by Frank Squires, another local architect until his son joined him and the firm became J.C. Holland & Son.
Holland was the architect of many buildings in Kansas including courthouses, schools, churches, jails, and commercial buildings. He is credited with the design of all but one of the residences in Topeka's Governor's Row. He worked in several styles including Richardsonian Romanesque, Queen Anne, and Colonial Revival and he incorporated local building materials in his designs.
Holland was also an active member of the community of Topeka; he was a member of several Masonic orders including the Scottish Rite, Shriners, and Toltec Rite and was a member of the Elks, Chamber of Commerce and the Central Congregational Church.
Find Holland designed buildings listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Entry: Holland, James C.
Author: Kansas Historical Society
Author information: The Kansas Historical Society is a state agency charged with actively safeguarding and sharing the state's history.
Date Created: March 2011
Date Modified: January 2013
The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.