Jump to Navigation

Kiowa County, Kansas

Kiowa County was founded on March 23, 1886, by J. W. Davis; C. F. Mingenbeck; C. P. Fullington; M. A. Nelson; and Cash Hopkins. The county was named for the Kiowa Indians and contains the cities of Greensburg, Mullinville and Havilan.

The first church, or meetinghouse, was established by the Friends (Quakers) in 1885. Also in 1885 a Methodist church was organized in Greensburg. The early county fairs have not been recorded, but a 4-H fair existed until 1979, when it became a county fair. The first school district was organized in Greensburg in January, 1885.

When the town of Greensburg was being established, the townspeople attempted to have the post office moved from the nearby town of Janesville. Jacob Barney, who had established Janesville and was also the postmaster, refused to allow the post office to leave. One night several Greensburg men were playing cards and drinking with Barney in the Janesville Post Office. Late in the evening, Barney fell asleep. The Greensburg men hoisted the 9 foot by 12 foot building onto a sled, and with Barney inside, moved the building to Greensburg. Barney awoke the next morning in what was now Greensburg's post office!

Interesting sites in the county include the Fromme-Birney Round Barn, the Stone Arch Bridge and Greensburg is the site of the largest hand-dug well.

For more information see the Kiowa County website. A recent county history, Kiowa County, 1979, is available as are other sources in the Kiowa County library's local history collection in Greensburg.

Entry: Kiowa County, Kansas

Author: Kristina Gaylord

Date Created: February 2010

Date Modified: July 2011

The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.