Site information access for professional researchers
Using Transportation Enhancement funds provide through the Kansas Department of Transportation, the Kansas Historical Society sponsored the development of a GIS coverage that shows the location of over 14,000 recorded archeological sites in the state. The coverage is available to qualified individuals via the web and is hosted by DASC (the Data Access and Support Center, kansasgis.org). Users can view archeological site and survey coverages overlaying USGS 1:24,000 topographic and aerial photograph coverages. They also can access specific site records and in some cases can download survey and excavation reports, which are added to the database as resources permit.
To offset maintenance costs, we are allowing qualified users to access the archeological coverage online for a fee. Two levels of access are available:
- $50 for 1 week
- $600 annually
Payment to KSHS can be made by check, direct billing with a purchase order, or by charge to a VISA or MasterCard account. These fees may be waived at the discretion of the State Archeologist for government agencies, THPOs, or student researchers with the involvement of a faculty sponsor.
Site searches by qualified individuals can still be conducted at the Kansas Historical Society free of charge.
How to Apply
To apply for online access to the archeological site and survey GIS coverage, an application (PDF) must be completed in its entirety. The completed application can be emailed to the State Archeologist at email@example.com or faxed to 785-272-8682, ATTN: Bob Hoard. Once the application is approved we will contact you.
Users must meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications Standards for Archeology (36 CFR 61, Appendix A) or must show sufficient qualifications as a land or resource manager. The KSHS Archeology Office reserves the right to deny access to unqualified individuals, as access to archeological records is exempt under the Kansas Open Records Act [K.S.A. 45-215 through 45-223, see specifically KSA 45-22(a)(36)].
In order to be able to access the GIS coverage and online database you will need to:
- Register (if you have not done so already) at http://koufax.kgs.ku.edu/kshs/register.cfm
When your application is accepted, we will set your access. Once we’ve done this:
- Go to: http://koufax.kgs.ku.edu/kshs/index.cfm From this address you will access our database to enter site forms and to keep records of your recorded sites.This also is the access portal to the GIS coverage.
- Enter your email and password to enter the system.
- Selecting ‘View map’ for any site record will bring up the GIS coverage, showing the location of the site. Select or deselect layers on the right to make them visible or invisible. If you are having difficulty accessing the files, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Survey and excavation reports online
We are making efforts to scan survey and excavation reports and attach these documents to the site and survey references so that they can be downloaded. If you need a survey report and cannot access it through the online resources, please contact email@example.com.If time and resources permit we will scan it for you and send it via email.
Record an archeological site - Access the online or the paper site form.
- We encourage the use of UTM coordinates, but please also include section, township and range information
- Please include an image of a USGS 1:24,000 topographic map showing the site location
- When uploading documents (Doc, PDF) and/or photographs (JPG) while entering a site form, please leave spaces and special characters out of the name of the file. Example:
AbbottSite2 rather than Abbott Site #2.
- If revising an existing site form, please select Revise under Actions in a site form record, do not create a new site form.