Jump to Navigation

County Records On Microfilm

The Kansas Historical Society has microfilm of government records from the following Kansas counties. Some of this film is restricted in KansasMost of these records were filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. The Historical Society will send this film to Kansas libraries on interlibrary loan. Out-of-state researchers should check to see if it is available through a nearby LDS Family History Center.

Microfilm volunteer in reading room

Access restrictions: The Genealogical Society of Utah microfilmed military discharge records that have been restricted by the Kansas Legislature under the Kansas Open Records Act, Kansas Statutes Annotated, no. 45-221(A)(46) which reads:

  • 45-221. Certain records not required to be open; separation of open and closed information required; statistics and records over 70 years old open. (a) Except to the extent disclosure is otherwise required by law, a public agency shall not be required to disclose:
  • . . . (46) Any information or material received by the register of deeds of a county from military discharge papers (DD Form 214). Such papers shall be disclosed: To the military dischargee; to such dischargee's immediate family members and lineal descendants; to such dischargee's heirs, agents or assigns; to the licensed funeral director who has custody of the body of the deceased dischargee; when required by a department or agency of the federal or state government or a political subdivision thereof; when the form is required to perfect the claim of military service or honorable discharge or a claim of a dependent of the dischargee; and upon the written approval of the commissioner of veterans affairs, to a person conducting research.
  • If, according to this law, you are eligible to request copies of these military discharge records, please contact the the Historical Society at 785-272-8681, ext. 117; or through the ask a research question online form.