Since 1905 the Kansas Historical Society has served as the State Archives. Holdings include the inactive unpublished records of state government with enduring historical value. The Historical Society also holds microfilm copies of unpublished records from many city and county offices, and some federal records. More information about state records.
The archives catalog includes brief records for all manuscript and state record collections at the Historical Society. Some state, federal, and local records have additional inventories or finding aids and are listed below. A few selected records have been digitized and are available on Kansas Memory, our online archives. Please contact our reference staff for information if you are interested in the records of a state or local government agency.
Some of our government records on microfilm are available for interlibrary Loan.
(M) refers to microfilm, please see our interlibrary loan policy.
- Census (M)
- Census Indexes (M)
- Civil War Records (M) Partially microfilmed
- Corporation Records
- Genealogical Resources in the State Archives
- Kansas 19th Cavalry Enlistments, 1868-1869
- Military Records at the State Archives
- Spanish-American War & Philippine Insurrection Resources
- Territorial Records 1854-1861
- Topeka State Hospital Records
- Works Progress Administration Inventory of County and Local Government Records
- Oliver Brown vs. Board of Education, Topeka (M) U.S. District Court case file.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs Records, Central Classified Files, 1907-1939 (M)
- Central Superintendency of Indian Affairs / William Clark Papers, 1807-1855 (KSHS holdings) (M)
- Central Superintendency of Indian Affairs, 1813-1878 (National Archives holdings) (M)
- Enrollment Cards of the Five Civilized Tribes, 1898-1914 (M)
- Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940 (M)
- Military Pension Index Cards (Kansas), 1861-1900 (M)
- Civil Rights During the Eisenhower Administration, 1953-1961 (M)
- Civil Rights During the Kennedy Administration, 1961-1963 (M)