Since 1905 the Kansas Historical Society has served as the State Archives. Holdings include the inactive unpublished records of state government with enduring historical value. The Historical Society also holds microfilm copies of unpublished records from many city and county offices, and some federal records. More information about state records.
The archives catalog includes brief records for all manuscript and state record collections at the Historical Society. Some state, federal, and local records have additional inventories or finding aids and are listed below. A few selected records have been digitized and are available on Kansas Memory, our online archives. Please contact our reference staff for information if you are interested in the records of a state or local government agency.
Some of our government records on microfilm are available for interlibrary Loan.
(M) refers to microfilm, please see our interlibrary loan policy.
- Adjutant General's Office (1.58 MB PDF file)
- Board of Review Records, 1915-1966
- Board of Healing Arts License Application Files of Medical Doctors, 1901-2001
- Census (M)
- Census Indexes (M)
- Civil War Records (M) Partially microfilmed
- Corporation Charters
- Genealogical Resources in the State Archives
- Indian Campaign Resources in the State Archives
- Kansas "Dead Towns" List (M)
- Kansas National Guard Resources in the State Archives (M) Partially microfilmed
- Kansas 19th Cavalry Enlistments, 1868-1869
- Kansas State Fair Board of Managers
- Kansas State Historical Society Education Division, 1983-1999
- Lansing State Penitentiary Index
- Spanish-American War & Philippine Insurrection Resources in the State Archives
- Territorial Records 1854-1861
- Topeka State Hospital Records
- Vietnam Conflict Resources in the State Archives
- Works Progress Administration Inventory of County and Local Government Records
- World War I Resources in the State Archives
- World War II Resources in the State Archives
- Oliver Brown vs. Board of Education, Topeka (M) U.S. District Court case file.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs Records, Central Classified Files, 1907-1939 (M)
- Central Superintendency of Indian Affairs / William Clark Papers, 1807-1855 (KSHS holdings) (M)
- Central Superintendency of Indian Affairs, 1813-1878 (National Archives holdings) (M)
- Enrollment Cards of the Five Civilized Tribes, 1898-1914 (M)
- Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940 (M)
- Military Pension Index Cards (Kansas), 1861-1900 (M)
- Civil Rights During the Eisenhower Administration, 1953-1961 (M)
- Civil Rights During the Kennedy Administration, 1961-1963 (M)