Tip 6: Find your family's farm in a Kansas Plat Atlas
These steps will help you locate your Kansas family's farm on a Kansas plat atlas, now available on Kansas Memory. Plat atlases can offer insights into the size and location of your family's farm, as well as guide your research to answer other questions like identifying neighbors and locating burials. Follow this example with the Woodruff family in Grant Township, Allen County.
1. Find your family listed in the U.S. Census (1870, 1880, etc.) or Kansas Census (1905, 1915, etc.)
2. Make a note of the township, county, and any neighbors
3. Find a list of county atlases kshs.org/13859
4. Find scans of the county atlas on Kansas Memory, kansasmemory.org
5. Find township where your family lived
6. Locate your family on the map using these reference notes.
Tip 1: Gathering information
Tip 2: Searching Census
Tip 3: Searching vital records
Tip 4: Newspapers
Tip 5: Were they really orphans?