- Please submit your request to your local library.
- Provide the complete citation and microfilm reel numbers if possible.
- Libraries can borrow up to two reels of film at a time per patron.
- Film must be used on a microfilm reader/printer at the borrowing library.
- The loan period is for four weeks (including shipping time).
- Film is usually sent out within five business days after the request is received from the local library.
Find microfilm reel numbers to order through participating Kansas libraries:
- Kansas newspapers
- Civil War pamphlets on microfiche
- City directories
- County records on microfilm
- Enrollment cards of the Five Civilized Tribes
- Indian census rolls, 1885-1940
- County Plat books
- Extinct towns of Kansas
- Search our online catalog for additional material on microfilm.
For help determining which reel numbers to request, you can contact the reference staff by email, or phone, 785-272-8681, ext. 118. Please leave a message if no one answers.
- Interlibrary loan is only available to Kansas libraries.
- For preservation reasons, only collections on microfilm are available for loan.
- The Historical Society bases its interlibrary loan policies on the guidelines established by the American Library Association's Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States and the Kansas Best Practices for Interlibrary Loan.
Submit requests online via the KICNET system or by mail or fax with an ALA interlibrary loan form; the Historical Society does not accept requests via OCLC or email.:
- ILL form, printable PDF file or ILL form, editable MS Word file
- Limit of two microfilm reels per person at a time, eight reels total per library.
- Loan time is four weeks, no renewals.
- Requests should not be sent for specific newspaper articles. Please refer newspaper search requests directly to reference staff.
Borrowing libraries are responsible for the safe use and return of ILL items:
Microfilm is sent and should be returned by state courier whenever possible.
- If microfilm is returned by mail, it should be packed in a shipping box in addition to the microfilm box to minimize damage. Padded envelopes do not provide adequate protection.
Overdue notices will be sent to the borrowing library:
- First notice - approximately two weeks past due date
- Final notice - approximately two weeks after first notice
- After two notices with no response the film will be presumed lost
- Borrowing library will be billed for the replacement cost<. The replacement cost for lost or damaged film is typically $75, but film purchased from outside vendors may be more.
- The materials replacement fund reimburses libraries for lost items that have been loaned from a Kansas library to a Kansas library.
For further questions contact
Phone: 785-272-8681, ext. 118
Fax: 785-272-8682 addressed to "Interlibrary Loan"
Kansas Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Avenue