Most of the microfilm in the collections is available for Kansas residents to borrow through participating Kansas public libraries. There is no fee for this service. Additional information for Borrowing libraries.
- Please submit your request to a local library.
- Provide libraries with the complete citation and microfilm reel numbers.
- Libraries can borrow up to two reels of film at a time per patron.
- Film must be used on a microfilm reader/printer at the borrowing library.
- The loan period is for three weeks (including shipping time) with no renewal.
- Film is usually shipped within five business days after the request is received from the local library.
Find microfilm reel numbers to order through participating Kansas libraries:
- Kansas newspapers
- Civil War pamphlets on microfiche
- City directories
- County records on microfilm
- Enrollment cards of the Five Civilized Tribes
- Indian census rolls, 1885-1940
- Plat books - atlases published between 1873-1922 are available on Kansas Memory
- Extinct towns of Kansas
- Additional microfilm in the online catalog
For help determining which reel numbers to request, contact the research room staff by email, or phone, 785-272-8681, ext. 117. Please leave a message if no one answers.
- Interlibrary loan is only available to Kansas libraries.
- For preservation reasons, only collections on microfilm are available for loan.
- The Historical Society bases its interlibrary loan policies on the guidelines established by the American Library Association's Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States and the Kansas Best Practices for Interlibrary Loan.
Help in finding microfilm reel numbers:
- Newspapers on microfilm database.
- County records on microfilm.
- City directories
- Our online catalog for additional material.
Submit requests online via the KICNET system or by mail or fax with an ALA interlibrary loan form:
ILL form, printable PDF file or ILL form, editable MS Word file
- The Historical Society does not accept requests via OCLC or email.
- Limit of two microfilm reels per person at a time, eight reels total per library.
- Loan time is three weeks, no renewals.
- Requests should not be sent for specific newspaper articles. Please refer inquiries directly to research services.
Borrowing libraries are responsible for the safe use and return of ILL items:
- Microfilm is sent and should be returned by state courier whenever possible.
- If microfilm is returned by mail, it should be packed in a shipping box in addition to the microfilm box to minimize damage. Padded envelopes do not provide adequate protection.
First notice - sent approximately two weeks past due date
Final notice - sent approximately two weeks after first notice
Borrowing library will be billed for the replacement cost
The replacement cost for lost or damaged film is approximately $75.00, but film purchased from outside vendors may be higher.
The Materials Replacement Fund reimburses libraries for lost items that have been loaned from a Kansas library to a Kansas library.
For further questions contact
Phone: 785-272-8681, ext. 118
Fax: 785-272-8682 addressed to "Interlibrary Loan"
Kansas Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Avenue