Interlibrary Loan Policies
Kansas residents may ask to borrow any of our microfilm collections. The film will be sent by state courier to participating libraries. The Kansas Historical Society does not charge a fee for its ILL service. For preservation reasons, we only loan our collections on microfilm and only collections that can be replaced.
Do not contact us directly; submit your request to your local library.
- Please provide a complete citation and microfilm reel numbers with your request.
- Libraries can borrow up to two reels of film at a time for you.
- You must use the film at the borrowing library, so be sure they have a microfilm reader/printer available.
- The loan period is for three weeks (including shipping time) with no renewal.
- Our staff can usually send film out by state courier within 3 days of receiving the request from your library.
These links will help you find the microfilm reel numbers that you need to submit your request:
- Enrollment Cards of the Five Civilized Tribes
- Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940
- Additional collections on microfilm
- Photograph microfiche by county & individual collections
- Allen County
- Anderson County
- Atchison County
- Berryman Collection
- Buffalo photographs
- Gannon Collection
If you need help determining which reel numbers to request, you may contact our reference staff by e-mail or by calling 785-272-8681, extension 117. Please leave a message if you call outside the hours we are open.
- Interlibrary loan is only available to libraries in Kansas.
- For preservation reasons, only collections on microfilm are available for loan.
- The Historical Society bases its interlibrary loan policies on the guidelines established by the American Library Association's Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States and the Kansas Best Practices for Interlibrary Loan.
Help your patron find microfilm reel numbers using:
- Newspapers on microfilm database.
- County Records on microfilm.
- City Directories
- Biographical clippings
- Our online catalog for other material.
Submit requests online via the KICNET system or by mail or fax with an ALA interlibrary loan form:
ILL form, printable PDF file or ILL form, editable MS Word file
- We do not accept requests via OCLC or email.
- Limit is 2 microfilm reels per patron at a time, 8 reels total per library.
- Loan time is 3 weeks, no renewals.
- Do not send requests for a specific newspaper article. Please refer your patron directly to our reference staff for research services.
Borrowing libraries are responsible for the safe use and return of ILL items:
- Microfilm is sent, and should be returned, by state courier whenever possible.
- If microfilm is returned by mail, it should be packed in a shipping box in addition to the microfilm box to minimize damage. Padded envelopes do not provide adequate protection.
- 1st notice - sent approximately 2 weeks past due date
- Final notice - sent approximately 2 weeks after 1st notice.
- Borrowing library will be billed for the replacement cost.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if payment is not received.
- The replacement cost for lost or damaged film is approximately $75.00, but film purchased from outside vendors may cost more.
- The Materials Replacement Fund reimburses libraries for lost items which have been loaned from a Kansas library to a Kansas library.
Phone: (785) 272-8681, ext. 323
Fax: (785) 272-8682 addressed to "Interlibrary Loan"
Kansas Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Avenue