Kansas Historical Society
A state agency, the Historical Society will post job openings here in addition to State of Kansas. The Historical Society employs people in a variety of areas including librarians, archivists, historic preservation specialists, archeologists, museum curators, registrars, exhibits designers, educators, graphic designers, historical editors, historic sites managers, and maintenance and clerical positions.
State Application Instructions
Applications must be made through the State of Kansas Civil Service Job Listings. In addition to the Historical Society, this site also includes other state agencies.
Contact: Vicki Harding, HR Consultant / Office of Personnel Services, Kansas Department of Administration, 900 SW Jackson St., Rm 401, Topeka KS 66612, 785-368-6496; email@example.com.
- Digital Archivist (Librarian) (req. no. 179111) open through December 5, 2014.
- Historic Preservation Specialist (req. no. 179119) open through November 30, 2014.
Kansas Historical Foundation
The Historical Foundation employs people in fundraising, retail sales, membership development, and clerical positions. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit foundation that supports the programs of the Historical Society. Job openings will be posted here when available and include information about application procedures. It is not possible to use the State of Kansas Civil Service applications for these positions.
Foundation Application Instructions
When openings are available, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Terry Marmet, director of operations, firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail to KSHS, Inc., 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS, 66615-1099. Questions about the position or application process can be directed to Mr. Marmet at 785 272-8681, ext. 209.
Kansas Historical Foundation (KSHS, Inc.)
This employee serves as Development Officer of the Kansas Historical Foundation (KSHS, Inc.), a private 501(C)(3) and is responsible for implementing a comprehensive development program, including annual and renewable gifts, to ensure a steady source of funding in support of the work of the Kansas Historical Society.
The Development Officer is a full-time position, working an average of 40 hours per week under the direction of the Executive Director/CEO. Benefits include health insurance, annual leave, sick leave, and a 403(b) matching tax advantage retirement savings plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify, cultivate and solicit donors, averaging 10 to 15 face-to-face visits per month.
- Create an annual giving solicitation campaign for new, current, and past donors.
- Implement a campaign to bring new donors to the organization.
- Communicate with donors and members of the Kansas Historical Society through articles in Reflections, Kansas History, KSHS E-News, e-blasts, and Facebook.
- Create and maintain positive relationships with donors, informing them of the activities of the organization and how their gifts make a difference.
- Thank donors by letter and/or phone calls in a timely and professional manner.
- Work with the Executive Director/CEO on how to significantly increase donations to the organization and manage the donor database.
- Work with the Director of Operations to increase general membership, assist with annual meetings and annual report.
- Attend, set up, and actively participate in Board Development Committee meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Training and Experience
A bachelor’s degree, three to five years of face-to-face fundraising experience, and a valid Kansas driver’s license is required.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team are essential. Knowledge of the educational fundraising model, time management skills and excellent computer abilities are also essential. The ability to travel independently and to operate a motor vehicle is required to perform daily duties.
Application Process and Deadline
Contact Terry W. Marmet at 785-272-8681, ext. 209 with questions regarding the position and the application process. The application must be received by January 5, 2015 and include a cover letter summarizing applicable experience, why the applicant is a good fit for the position, and salary requirements; a detailed resume; and three professional references. Address the application package to Terry W. Marmet, Director of Operations, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099, or email to email@example.com.