Kansas Day at the Museum - Tips for Visitors
We're glad you are interested in commemorating Kansas' birthday at the Kansas Museum of History. Kansas Day is a busy day. There is a lot for visitors to see and do. Everyone attending will have an educational and entertaining time if we all work together. We ask your help in making this the best Kansas Day yet!
Planning Your Kansas Day Visit:
- We request that groups of 10 or more, or people needing accommodations, register two weeks or more in advance. This helps us prepare for the event. Complete the registration form and submit it by email, fax or mail. You may do this on paper or electronically. (To use the electronic form download it, fill in the information using a recent version of Acrobat Reader, and email it to email@example.com)
- The Kansas Historical Society does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission to, access to, or operation of its programs.The Society requests prior notification to accommodate individuals with special needs or disabilities. Please share any accommodations you need when you register.
- If you have registered and need to cancel your plans, please let us know ASAP by calling 785-272-8681, ext. 415 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are interested in attending but don't enjoy crowds, we recommend that you visit in the afternoon when the crowd is traditionally smaller.
- Admission to the museum is free on this day, but everyone attending must stop at the admission table whether they have registered in advance or not. This allows us to get an accurate count of those attending and to pass out maps, free admission stickers, and other materials.
- Lunch space is very limited on Kansas Day. The directions for those eating at the museum on Kansas Day will change in 2016 so please read your Kansas Day emails carefully if you have registered for this event. Lunch times will be scheduled for groups eating at the museum on Kansas Day. Your confirmation for this event will include the time you are scheduled to eat.
Before You Leave School:
- Make sure each teacher has a copy of the information on this page and a map of the Kansas Day at the Museum event. Ask him/her to review the materials ahead of time.
- Plan to check-in your group at the admission table. Read the check-in information below ahead of time.
- Label boxes that contain your lunches with the name of your school and teacher(s).
- Bring plastic trash bags to store your coats in. The museum does not have enough coat bins or coat racks to accommodate the volume of Kansas Day visitors. Please plan to leave your coats on the bus or bag them in labeled plastic bags and store them with your group's lunches.
When You Arrive:
- Unload your bus at the Museum entrance.
- Park buses in the designated bus parking zone along the south edge of the parking lot.
- Please do not leave valuables unattended in vehicles.
- Everyone needs to check in at the admission table whether they have registered in advance or not. Maps and free admission stickers will be handed out at the admission table.
- If your group will arrive together, decide in advance who will check-in at the admission table when you arrive. That person needs to know the total number of adults and the total number of students in your group. Other adults with your group should move the group to the side while they wait. Museum staff will be on hand to assist you with this.
- If your group will not all be arriving together, please make sure that everyone knows the name the group is registered under and that they need to check-in at the admission table upon their arrival. Each should provide an adult and student count for only those people arriving with him/her.
- Pass out the maps and stickers. You will receive one admission sticker for each person, one map of the event for each adult, and one evaluation for each teacher.
- The stone building to the north of the parking lot, the Pottawatomie Mission, will be used as a lunch space. When you arrive take your lunches to the east door of this building. Lunches can be stored on the first floor. Space is available on the first and second floors for eating. Seating is on the floor. A limited number of chairs will be available for people unable to sit on the floor. Please make sure your group is seated accordingly.
During Your Visit:
- Restrooms are located next to the Museum classrooms and in the lobbies of the Museum and the State Archives.
- No food, drink or chewing gum are allowed in the Museum galleries or Discovery Place. These all have a tendency to leave a mess and attract pests that can destroy the artifacts on display.
- Lunch space is limited. Please eat in the area(s) designated on the map. Lunch space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Lunch areas may not be reserved in advance for individual group use. If the weather is nice, and your bus will be here during your visit, consider eating on your bus.
- Cell phones should be turned off.
- We request that you not disrupt the performance by entering or exiting during a performance if at all possible.
- Leave the aisles clear.
- Seating is on the floor. Some chairs are available for those unable to sit on the floor.
- Please see a door monitor if you need assistance.
Return to Kansas Day at the Museum 2016