Kansas Historical Quarterly - As Published - May 1943
May 1943 (Vol. 12, No. 2), pages 218 to 222.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
J. M. Satterthwaite reviewed the history of the Emporia trail in his Douglass Tribune, August 21, 1942. "One line of the trail went up the Cottonwood [to] about Cedar Point, came over the hills and down Cole creek, to the Walnut valley," the article reported. "Another route crossed the Cottonwood below the Falls, running over the hills to the south fork, and then through . . . Matfield Green, and over the summits to Sycamore Springs where the Walnut started; thence down the Walnut through Chelsea." The route was widely used by immigrants in 1870 when Emporia was the end of the Santa Fe railroad.
Articles relating to Kansas history in recent issues of the Kansas City (Mo.) Times included: "Friends of Old Days in Kansas Saw Budding Genius of Negro Scientist [Dr. George Washington Carver]," by Paul I. Wellman, September 9, 1942; "Trails of a Pioneer Indian Chief Crossed in the Grand Lake Region [Cayuga Springs, Last Home and Burial Ground of Mathias Splitlog, One of Founders of Wyandotte, Kan.]," by J. P. Gilday, September 15; "When Smuggler, Pride of Olathe, Won Fastest Race Ever Trotted," by Jessie Hodges, October 8; "Kansas in the War Effort," November 3; "Abilene's 'Ike' Eisenhower Shines as Soldier, Scholar and Statesman," November 9; "Kansas Is Planning To Do Something With War Plants When Peace Returns," by Cecil Howes, February 3, 1943; "K. U. History Professor [Dr. James C. Malin] Concludes That John Brown Was a Bad Man [See Kansas Historical Quarterly, V. XII, pp. 110, 111]," by Paul I. Wellman, February 18, and "The Hills of `Old Town, [Kansas City, Mo.] Challenged and Evoked Spirit of the Pioneers," by J. P. Gilday, March 10.
Cecil Howes, head of the Topeka bureau of the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, wrote on the following Kansas historical subjects in the Star in recent months: "Kansas Small-Town Papers Always Gather a Bumper Crop of Personals," September 10, 1942; "One Man [J. W. F. Hughes of Topeka] Survives Kansas Political Uprisings of a Half Century Ago," September 23; "More About the Meaning of Kansas Place Names," September 25; "Lift Some of the Mystery of a. Rare John Brown Portrait [Picture in Governor's Office in Topeka]," September 27; "How Kansans of the Territorial Days Went About Getting Divorces," October 3; "Topekans Went in For Snappy Means of Locomotion in 1869," October 9; "Early Blackouts by Kansas Pioneers When Indians Were the Enemy," October
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS
16; "Sound on the Goose Question," October 20; "A Kansas Fund From Pioneer Days Is Helping to Win the War," October 23; "Good Samaritans of Kansas Farming Communities Are Pictured," November 4; "More About the Names of Kansas Towns," November 6; "Ghost Towns [Shawnee county]," November 12; "Soybean Production Was Known Early in Kansas But Only in Late Years Has It Become a Standard Crop," November 14; "The Story of the [Mrs. Kate A.] Aplington Art Gallery of Kansas," November 17; "Horace Greeley, Friend of Early Day Kansas, Didn't Like Some of the Rawness of the State When He Toured the Area," November 20; "Long Has the Contention Over Liquor in Kansas Been an Issue," November 24; "Kansas Began Early to Boost Itself Before the Rest of the Nation," November 27, and "Once Upon a Time There Was a `Gold Rush' in Kansas," December 11.
On October 8, 1942, the Hays Daily News published a thirty-two page "Hospitality Special" expressing the good will of residents of Hays "toward all those who temporarily will reside in this city and near the new Hays-Walker airfield until the new military base, now under construction, is completed." Included in the edition were two articles of historical interest: "Life and Death Struggles of Early Days on Plains Recalled by Pioneer," as recorded by Mrs. Mildred Cass Beason of Quinter, and "George Grant, Victoria Colonist, First to Bring Angus [Cattle] to Kansas."
The early history of Freemasonry in Lawrence was sketched by Dr. Edward Bumgardner in the Lawrence Daily Journal-World, October 28, 1942. Lawrence Lodge No. 6 was organized in 1855 and Acacia Lodge No. 9 in 1867. A more extensive history of Acacia lodge by Doctor Bumgardner was a feature of the seventy-fifth anniversary souvenir booklet issued late in 1942. It contained the roster of elective officers and names of all the members from the organization of Acacia to September 10, 1942.
A brief review of the life of the late Kate Stephens of Lawrence, by K. W. Davidson, was printed in the Topeka Daily Capital, November 15, 1942. Miss Stephens, a former professor at the University of Kansas, died in 1938. The university has recently announced receipt of a bequest of $30,000 from her estate, "the income from which is to be used to perpetuate the cultural idealism symbolized by the donor and the passion for justice which burned in the heart of and motivated the life of Judge Nelson Timothy Stephens, father of Kate, who was the founder of the university school of law."
220 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
The Russell Methodist Church observed the seventieth anniversary of its founding with a dinner meeting November 19, 1942. A history of the church, prepared by Judge J. C. Ruppenthal for the occasion, was published in the Russell Record of November 23. The Rev. John Connor, a circuit rider and local preacher of Ellsworth, organized the first class of fourteen members in Russell on December 19, 1872, according to Judge Ruppenthal.
"First Stranger Creek Bridge Built in 1857, It Is Claimed," was the title of an article in the Leavenworth Times, December 1, 1942, featuring a brief sketch of William Crutchfield, builder of the bridge, who was a prominent figure in early Kansas affairs.
The following Kansas historical subjects were discussed by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle in recent months: "First Wichita Attempt at Navigating the Air Not Attended With Success," January 4, 1943; "Movements in Money That Marked First Days in the Life of Wichita," January 5; "Talking Machine Arrival in Wichita Followed by Large Development Stage," January 9; "Incident of Big Blizzard That Brought a Blackout to Whole Prairie Region," January 11; "Food Was Put to Bed to Save From Freezing in Fiercest of Storms," January 12; "Wichita Was Hit Early by the Jersey Cow Craze Which Swept the Nation," January 15; "Early Day Cattleman Left Vivid Description of Experience in 1871-72," January 16; "Launching of Wichita Seventy-Three Years Ago Had Military Background," January 19; "An Architectural Style in Early Wichita Homes That Did Not Continue," January 28; "Vision of the Pioneer Seeking to Penetrate Future of the Prairies," February 3; "Early Figures Spurred Wichita at the Start to New Hope and Effort," February 5; "Early Zoological Start Was Made by Wichita With Prairie Animals," February 8; "First Sight of Wichita by Gen. William Hazen Seventy-four Years Ago," February 15; "When Wichita Town-lots Began Changing Hands With Advance in Prices," February 16; "Detailed Account Left of Late Big Bison Hunt in This Prairie Region," February 17; "Eagerness of Pioneers to Win From Prairies All Natural Resources," February 22; "Starting New Township Here in Sedgwick County Seventy Odd Years Ago," February 25; "Lone Tree Was Landmark Out West of Early Wichita Much in Traveler's Eye," February 26; "Wichita Showed Stamina When Three Years Old in Meeting First Panic," March 2; "Hints That Wichita Had From Older Sister City, Humboldt on the Neosho," March 3; "Correspondent of Eagle Who Wrote Able Account of a Buffalo Hunt Here," March 4; "Appear
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 221
ance of Intuition in Some City-Builders in Picking a Winning Town," March 5 ; "When Little Arkansas Had Three Separate Names From Its Source to Mouth [Elcah, Ho-cah-hah-shinker, and Ute-cha-og-ra]," March 6; "Last Big Experience City of Wichita Had With the Buffalo Herds," March 11; "After Getting Railroad Wichita Busied Itself Letting Shippers Know," March 12; "City Most Lusty Infant at Its Third Birthday Wichita Visitors Noted," March 13; "When Capt. and Mrs. King From Big Texas Ranch Paid Wichita a Visit," March 19; "Inspiration to Industry That Wichita Caught Up From the Early Prairies," March 25; "Memory of Henry Tisdale, Prairie Pioneer of Vision, William Allen White Has," March 26; "Ugly Prairie Storms That Made Most Notable November in Year 1868," March 29; "In the Frontier Vanguard of the Prairie Invasion Were Saw and Grist Mill," April 1; "Famous Turkey Roost on Cimarron River Named For [Gen. Phil.] Sheridan," April 3 ; "Big Change in Cooking in Early Kansas Times Took Legs Off Skillet," April 6; "Experience of Pioneers With Their Livestock in Developing the Land," April 7; "Springs Gave Glamor to Dreams of Future in the Prairie Pioneers," April 13; "Isolation of Pioneers on the Vast Prairies Had Its Fascinations," April 15; "Early Wichita's Pride Over Its Possession of the Sixth Meridian," April 23, and "Thomas C. Battey, Early Traveler Over the Prairies, Wrote Down Details of His Trip This Way in 1871," April 30.
The origin of the town names of Westmoreland, Wamego, Rossville, St. Marys, Onaga, Havensville, Alma, Eskridge, Holton, Louisville, Silver Lake, Seneca, Manhattan and Topeka was recalled by Frank A. Miller, editor and publisher of the St. Marys Star, in the issue of January I4, 1943.
Interesting information on early-day Baxter Springs and the Baxter family, for whom the town was named, was contributed by Dolph Shaner to the Joplin (Mo.) Globe, January 17 and February 7, 1943. The Andreas-Cutler History of Kansas (1883), p. 1I61, reports the town was named for "A." Baxter, but Mr. Shaner's article, based on reminiscences of the late Barton J. Morrow, of Neosho, Mo., in 1926, and information from C. C. Baxter, a grandson who now lives at Dublin, Tex., shows that "John J." or "John L." Baxter was head of the family. "John J." Baxter was listed in the census of Kansas territory in 1857 as a resident of McGee (now Cherokee) county. He appeared again as "John J.," this time with
222 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
the names of his children, in the census of 1860, but the grandson reports the name as "John L."
"Santa Fe Trail Across Kansas Helped Save Great Northwest Territory for U. S. Just 100 Years Ago," was the title of an article by Henry L. Carey in the Hutchinson News-Herald, January 24, 1943.
Articles of historical interest to Kansans in recent issues of the Kansas City (Mo.) Star were: "Dave Payne, the Oklahoma Boomer, Gets a Permanent Memorial in New Biography [See Kansas Historical Quarterly, V. XII, pp. 111-I12]," by Paul I. Wellman, February 1, 1943; "William Allen White Takes a Brief Pause For Birthday Interview at 75," by Elmont Waite, February 10; "The Soldier From Junction City [Maj. Gen. John C. H. Lee, commander of Service of Supply] Who Must Deliver Goods For Eisenhower," by Marcel Wallenstein, February 20; "Long Service of Kansas Women [Miss Anna Speck and Miss Edith Wood] Ended by the Merit System," February 28; "Leaders of Industry Are Studying War at Ft. Leavenworth's Service School," March 4.
"Larned's First Newspaper Made Its Appearance in '73," was the title of an article in The Daily Tiller and Toiler, of Larned, March 17, 1943. The first paper, the Press, appeared June 10, 1873, and was described by Mrs. Isabel Worrell Ball writing in the Larned Eagle Optic, November 17, 1899. Brief biographical mention of Mrs. Ball was also included in the article. "Old St. John History," by Melba Cornwell Budge, and a page article by Miss Maude Doran entitled "Early History of Stafford County," with pictures of the county's three courthouse buildings, were features of the St. John News, March 18, 1943.
The "Pioneer Story" of Ezekiel Lafayette Smith, who settled in Crawford county November 11, 1871, was reviewed by his daughterin-law, Mrs. Lena Martin Smith, in a three-column article in the Girard Press, March 25, 1943.
A history of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Kansas and Adjacent States of the United Lutheran Church was featured in the Topeka Daily Capital, May 2, 1943. The synod was organized at a convention in Topeka November 5, 1868, and then consisted of eight churches with a membership of 261.