As Published - November 1940
November 1940 (Vol. 9, No. 4), pages 409 to 415.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
Dr. Edward Bumgardner, of Lawrence, is the author of "A Short History of the M. E. Church at Clinton," which appeared in the Douglas County Republican, Lawrence, March 7, 1940. The church was organized late in 1855 as the Council City mission, and remained active until it was disbanded in 1922 because of loss of members.
The fiftieth anniversary of Caney's oldest school building was observed April 5, 1940, with an open house entertainment for old-time pupils. The Caney Daily Chronicle, of April 6, printed a report of the celebration, which included a talk by Mrs. H. H. Graves reviewing the history of the school.
"In Eight Years Victor Murdock Has Written 2,510 Articles, Based on 2,400 Interviews, Concerning History of This Empire," was the title of a feature article by John Reed, in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, April 7, 1940.
Reminiscences of early days in Wallace county were related by Mrs. Mary Kahle in The Western Times, Sharon Springs, April 18, 1940.
A reunion of former pupils and teachers of School District No. 42 was held on April 18, 1940, at the Paris school, Lincoln county. The Lincoln County News, Lincoln, of April 25, printed a historical sketch of the school based on the reminiscences of former teachers who spoke at the reunion.
Mrs. S. A. Mundell, of Parker, a member of a pioneer Kansas family, contributed to the April 25, 1940, issue of The Enterprise-Chronicle of Burlingame some reminiscences of frontier life entitled "Pioneer Days of Kansas."
Former teachers and officials of the Ogallah school, Trego county, met for a reunion in connection with the spring graduation exercises. The Western Kansas World, Wakeeney, for April 25, 1940, published a report of the meeting, and listed names of teachers, county superintendents and school board members since 1879.
A history of School District No. 29, Barton county, appeared in the Hoisington Dispatch, May 9, 1940. The district was formed in 1875.
The eighty-second anniversary of the Hamelton massacre, which occurred in 1858 in present Linn county, was observed May 19, 1940,
410 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
with a program sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The site of the incident is now included in a sixty-acre memorial park not far from Trading Post. The story of the massacre was reviewed in the Pleasanton Observer-Enterprise, May 9, 1940.
Jennie Satterthwaite-Kiser is the author of a review of the early days of the Walnut City school printed in the Douglass Tribune, May 10, 1940. Many names of teachers, pupils, and members of school boards were included.
The Sylvan Grove News of May 15, 1940, published a list of the high-school graduates during the past thirty-eight years, from 1902 to 1940.
A history of Delhi, Osborne county, and East Wolf, Russell county, written by John W. Manners, Jr., from notes made by his father, a Methodist "circuit rider" in the 1880's, was printed in the Lucas Independent, May 29, 1940.
Parker in 1889 was described in the Parker Message, May 30, 1940. Brief histories of local institutions were published and several townspeople prominent at the time were mentioned.
On May 30, 1940, The Ness County News, Ness City, observed the county's sixtieth anniversary by issuing a twenty-page "Old Settlers' Reunion" edition which included much historical material. Montie Hubbell, of Jetmore, related his experiences of early days in Ness City; Wm. D. Miner, Sr., recalled his business associates of fifty years ago, and Mrs. Nell G. Holtom reviewed the sixty years of the county's existence. Lowell Yasmer, county superintendent, wrote a brief history of the county school system, including the names and terms of office of the superintendents and several school board members, and L. L. Scott and Mrs. John Cole, pioneer settlers, reviewed early days in the county.
In observance of the eightieth anniversary of Washington and Washington county, The Washington County Register on May 31, 1940, published a 32-page "Old Home Week" edition. Included in the historical articles were reminiscences of Dan Brown, Asa Darby and John Scruby, all old settlers; historical sketches of the towns of Palmer, Barnes, Greenleaf, Mahaska, Linn, Hollenberg, Morrowville, Clifton and Haddam; a sketch of early days by J. A. Maxwell; a history of the city band, and a description of the tornado of July 4, 1932. In addition there were photographs of early-day scenes and settlers.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 411
Hugh J. Powell, owner of the Coffeyville Daily Journal, observed his thirty-fifth anniversary as a newspaper publisher on June 19, 1940, by issuing a twenty-eight page edition of the Journal. An account of his life appeared on page one, under the by-line of Russell Greenlee, the city editor, and the second section of the paper was devoted largely to historical articles dealing with persons and institutions of Coffeyville.
"Four Years of Pioneer Life," reminiscences of early days in Kansas, by Mrs. Sarah Borgen, of Woodston, was the title of an article in The News Chronicle, Scott City, June 20, 1940. Mrs. Borgen went to Mitchell county as a small girl in 1866, and her recollections are chiefly of Indian depredations.
A "History of Sterling and Rice County," by J. Milo Haynes, was published in the Sterling Bulletin, June 20, 27, and July 4 and 11, 1940.
The press of the Wellsville Globe issued on June 23, 1940, A History of the Wellsville Methodist Church, a fifteen-page pamphlet prepared largely by C. A. Smith, for many years superintendent of the Sunday school. It includes a list of the early ministers and members of the church and a description of the first church building, which burned in 1901. A history of the church prepared in 1906 by J. W. Smith, the author's father, was reprinted. Much of the material, which is taken from the available church records, appeared in several issues of the Globe.
Victor Murdock's articles of historical interest recently published in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle include the following: "How Peter Roubidoux [of Wallace] Carried Out His Threat to Close His Store for Good," July 9, 1940; "Genius in Stone Work, Pioneer on Prairies, Who Left Mark on a Town [named Wilson]," July 10; "Two Trips to Territory of Which J. B. M'Laughlin Has a Lively Memory," July 19; "Twice as Many Post Offices in Kansas at One Time as There Are Nowadays," July 22; "How J. R. Mead Happened to Pick Towanda Site for Indian Trading Post," July 23; "Approach of the Merchants to Wichita Customers in First Days of the Town," August 7; "Tragedy of the Prairie When Jedediah Smith Died on Dread Jornada," August 21; "Wild Indian Encounter Down South of Wichita Wherein No One Was Hurt," August 27; "Memories of the Opening of the Cherokee Outlet by a Pioneer Westerner [Charles W. Jackson, of Wichita]," September 16; Brief biographical sketch
412 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
of Col. J. W. Hartzell, one-time resident of Topeka and Wichita, who helped to promote, build and manage the first street railways in Topeka and Wichita, September 18 and 19; "Earliest School in Wichita East of Railroad Tracks Called the Cowbell School," September 23; "Metalworker Vanguard [an industry now Very important in manufacturing airplanes] Which Struck Wichita During Its First Boom," September 27; "Remember Earl Browder When He Was a Cash Boy in Early Wichita Days," September 30; Description of a visit to the region of the Arkansas valley (including Chelsea, an early community on the Walnut, the site of present Wichita and territory to the southwest) based on a record left by W. A. Ela in 1860, October 4, 5 and 7; "Last Visit of Pioneer Creator of Oklahoma [Capt. David L. Payne] to His Old Township Here," October 11; "Account of a Massacre of Federal Surveyors in the Wichita Area [in 1872]," October 16; "Kansas Hunter Used [Buffalo] Hide to Protect His Two Boys in a Wild Indian Attack," October 17.
R. O. Larsen, long-time resident of Shawnee, is now engaged in compiling a history of early days in Johnson county, reported the Northeast Johnson County Herald, Overland Park, on July 18, 1940.
Among the articles relating to Kansas history recently published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times were the following: "Romantic Roles Just Don't Fit the Dalton Gang of Desperadoes [who robbed the Coffeyville bank the morning of October 5, 1892]," by James Turnbaugh, July 24, 1940; "Kansas Keeps Tradition as a Haven for Peace Seekers in Warring World [a review of immigration to Kansas by groups who refuse to bear arms in war]," by Margaret Whittemore, August 1; "A Copy of Lecompton Constitution Recalls Stirring Period in Kansas," by Cecil Howes, August 2; "Kansas City's `Immortal [Hannibal] Bridge' Still Serves March of Progress," by J. P. G., August 12; "When Bugler Titus From Kansas Scaled Walls of Besieged Peking [during the Boxer uprising]," by E. R. Schauffler, August 14; "The Fame of Ingalls of Kansas Still Is Bright After 40 Years," by E. R. Schauffler, August 16; "Victorious Dry Crusade in Kansas Started at a Rally Sixty Years Ago," by Cecil Howes, August 21; "Kansas City Staged a Big Show for Its First Draftees in 1917 [bound for Camp Funston]," by Charles S. Stevenson, September 5; "A Dreamer [Cyrus K. Holliday] With $20,000 Founded the Santa Fe Railway in Kansas," by Cecil Howes,
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 413
September 17; "Dictionary of American History Emphasizes Part Played by West," September 27.
Notes on the history of Jewell county and Mankato appeared in The Western Advocate, Mankato, July 25, 1940. Although the first bona fide settler came to the county in 1862, Indian massacres and robberies made permanent settlements hazardous until 1870, when a great wave of immigration began and the county was organized.
A biographical sketch of Richard Deighton, for whom the town of Dighton, Lane county, was named, was printed in the Dighton Herald, July 25, 1940. The article, written in 1936 by a nephew and daughter, Clarence O. and Emma Deighton of Great Bend, describes his life from his arrival in America from England at the age of fourteen to his death in 1916.
The Wichita Sunday Eagle of July 28, 1940, issued a ninety-six page edition commemorating sixty-eight years of service to Wichita and the Southwest. While the issue was devoted largely to the city's business and industrial development, it contained the following articles of historical interest: "The Eagle, Wichita and the Southwest"; "History of Sedgwick County Parallels That of Wichita Eagle for Nearly 70 Years"; "The Early Settlement of the Arkansas Valley; Personal, Municipal and Judicial Reminiscences," a reproduction of a historical article written by Col. Marsh M. Murdock in 1876.
A description of present Marshall county in 1851, written by Howard Stansbury, an early traveler through the Western country, was printed in the Marshall County News, Marysville, August 15, 1940. During one day's march, he recorded, the party passed six graves. "Melancholy accompaniments they are of a road silent and solitary at best, and ill calculated to cheer the weary, drooping wayfarers."
The homecoming celebration of teachers, pupils and patrons of the Cranmer school district, near Clyde, reported in the Clyde Republican, August 22, 1940, was the occasion for reminiscences of early days. The Republican published a brief history of the district, with the names of the 123 persons who attended the reunion.
Reminiscences of the Kansas frontier in the 1870's and 1880's, told by A. Fick and edited by Mildred Cass Beason, were recorded in The Ellis County News, Hays, August 22, 1940. Mr. Fick was a German, veteran of the Franco-Prussian War, who came to the
414 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
United States in 1872. For a short time he lived in Hays, then in Rush and Ness counties, worked as a ranch-hand in Texas and made the drive up the Texas trail to Kansas, and finally settled in Gove county where he remained until his recent death at the age of ninety-three.
A "Pioneer Days Souvenir Edition" was issued on August 22, 1940, by the Hill City Times in observance of Graham county's sixtieth anniversary. Historical articles included a sketch of the county, a list of newspapers since 1879, biographies of pioneer citizens, interesting "firsts" in the county's history, histories of Morland, Hill City and other towns, and accounts of the Millbrook cyclone of 1887 and the prairie fire which nearly destroyed Hill City in 1904.
James Stewart reviewed the early history of Elwood in The Kansas Chief, Troy, September 5, 1940. The first settlement on the present townsite was made in 1854, but not until 1856 was a town company organized in St. Joseph, Mo. The town was first named Roseport.
"Some Interesting Early History of Perry and Kentucky Township," first read by J. L. Raines at an old settlers' reunion in 1904, was printed in the Perry Mirror, September 12, 1940.
On September 16 and 17, 1940, Atchison was host to the eightieth anniversary celebration of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad. The Atchison Daily Globe of September 14 published several historical articles dealing with the city, the railroad and transportation in general, including a biographical sketch of David Rice Atchison, the Missouri senator for whom the town was named; a story of the arrival of the first overland stage in Denver in 1859, when it was part of Kansas territory; a description by Frank A. Root of his second trip from Pennsylvania to Kansas in 1858; a history of the town of Doniphan; episodes in the experiences of Cyrus K. Holliday, founder of the Santa Fe, by J. F. Jarrell, and a history of the development of transportation in Atchison from the establishment of the first ferry in 1855 to the first air mail service in 1938. Pictures of the incorporators, first directors, and the presidents of the Santa Fe were also featured.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 415
The El Dorado Times on September 25, 1940, issued a thirty-six page edition in observance of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the discovery of oil in the El Dorado field. Articles of historical interest dealt with the Stapleton "discovery" well, first in the field, the activities of such leaders in the industry as William G. Skelly and his company, Herbert R. Straight and the Cities Service company, and local refineries. Stress was laid on the importance to the community of the oil industry, and sketches of industrial and commercial firms were included.
A story of Old Ben "Don Benito" Hodges, "Dodge City's most picturesque frontier character," was written by Henry L. Carey, of Dodge City, and printed in the Hutchinson News-Herald, November 3, 1940. According to Col. R. M. Wright, from whom the author secured his information, Ben was an outlaw horse-and-cattle thief of uncertain age and ancestry who for many years lived by his wits in turbulent Dodge, growing up with the town until his death in 1929.
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church at Tescott recently celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, according to the Tescott News of November 7, 1940. The church organization became effective November 1, 1890, when a constitution was adopted by the eleven charter members. The Rev. Samuel H. Mollenauer was the first minister. The present congregation numbers 257 persons. Detailed information of the church's history and activities was featured in a golden jubilee souvenir booklet published by the congregation.
An article entitled "Thirty-Fifth Division [composed of national guard units from Kansas and Missouri] Won Glory in France Twenty-Two Years Ago," was printed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, September 25, 1940.