Kansas Historical Quarterly - Notes - August 1942
(Vol. 11, No. 3), pages 335 to 336.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.A Chisholm trail marker of red granite has been placed in the new Jesse Chisholm park about seven miles west of Wellington on US-160. Sen. Ed T. Hackney was the principal speaker at the dedi cation ceremonies held June 14, 1942. The marker, a gift from the Wellington chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Wellington Business and Professional Women's Club, was unveiled by Mrs. H. W. Andrews of Wellington who came up the trail when a child in 1868. The inscription by Kirke Mechem, secretary of the Kansas Historical Society, reads as follows:
BETWEEN 1867 AND THIS MORE THAN TWO MILLION TEXAS LONG- HORNS WERE DRIVEN NORTH PAST HERE TO KANSAS RAILROAD TOWNS FOR SHIPMENT EAST. AT SLATE CREEK CROSSING 5 MILES NORTHEAST A TRADING POST, 1869, WAS THE FIRST BUILDING IN SUMNER COUNTY. OVER THIS TRAIL AFTER IT WAS CLOSED TO CATTLE CAME MANY OF THE PIONEERS WHO SETTLED THE WESTERN PART OF THE COUNTY. THIS SITE WAS GIVEN TO THE CITY OF WELLINGTON BY FRED ROSE, WHO TRAVELED THE TRAIL AS A CHILD.
Officers of the recently reorganized Franklin County Historical Society are: J. E. Shinn, Ottawa, president; B. M. Ottaway, Pomona, vice-president; Mrs. Florence King, Ottawa, recording secretary, and Florence Robinson, Ottawa, ;corresponding secretarytreasurer. The board of directors includes Ottaway, Dana Needham, Lane, and A. P. Elder, Ottawa; serving until 1945; Asa F. Converse, Wellsville, Mrs. Ada B. McCracken, Ottawa, and Hiram Allen, Williamsburg, until 1944; Shinn, Mrs. W. A. Penny, Ottawa, and W. S. Jenks, Ottawa, until 1943.
A Historical Outline of the Territorial Common Schools in the State of Kansas, by Lloyd C. Smith, was issued early in 1942 as the twenty-fourth of the series of Studies in Education published by the Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia. First schools in the following counties were mentioned in the 60-page survey: Allen, Anderson, Atchison, Bourbon, Brown, Coffey, Doniphan, Douglas, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Leavenworth, Linn, Lyon, Marshall, Miami, Morris, Nemaha, Osage, Riley, Shawnee, Wabaunsee and Wyandotte.
336 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Westward America (New York, G. P. Putnam's Sons) is the title of a new book by Howard R. Driggs, professor of English education at New York University and president of the Oregon Trail Memorial Association. The Volume contains "forty chapters of humanized history" of the West, including stories of the Santa Fe, Oregon, Mormon and other trails. Full-page color reproductions of forty water-color paintings by William Henry Jackson are featured. Among them is one of Alcove Springs, a famous campground near Independence crossing on the Big Blue river in Marshall county.
Edward Everett Dale, professor of history at Oklahoma University at Norman, and an authority on the history of the cattle industry, is the author of a new book, Cow Country, published by the University of Oklahoma Press April 27, 1942. The volume is a compilation of Dale's essays on the cattle industry, revised and arranged to make "a fairly consecutive story of ranching in the Great Plains area." Another recent book of note from the same press is The Man Who Sold Louisiana, by E. Wilson Lyon, president of Pomona College, Claremont, Cal. It is the life of Francois Barbe Marbois, minister of the treasury under Napoleon who negotiated and handled the details of the Sale of Louisiana to the American emissaries.
Seventy Years in Norton County, Kansas, 1872-1942, is the title of a 238-page book by D. N. Bowers printed early this summer by The Norton County Champion of Norton. It was compiled from official records, newspaper files and personal interviews and is well documented and illustrated. Special articles were contributed by Charles L. Rose, Ernest M. Wheeler, Byron F. Salisbury, Dewain Delp, R. E. Getty, A. E. Schafer and E. E. Nelson. County office holders, 1872-1942, are listed in the appendix.
An inventory of the archives of Morris county was issued in July, 1942, the fourteenth of the Inventory of the County Archives of Kansas series published by the Kansas Historical Records Survey of the Work Projects Administration. Like preceding volumes, the publication lists the archives of the county and presents a sketch of its history and governmental organization. Because of the war, this volume is the last of the series. Unpublished material gathered by the organization from most of the counties of Kansas has been deposited by Iowa Jones, state supervisor of the project at the time of its closing, with the Kansas Historical Society.