Kansas Historical Notes - February 1934
(Vol. 3, No. 1), pages 105 to 112
Transcribed by Lynn Nelson; HTML editing by Tod Roberts;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
Plaques honoring fourteen Kansas women have been placed in the seven congressional districts of the state under the supervision of the Woman's Kansas Day Club. Miss Stella B. Haines, of Augusta, president of the club, assisted the district leaders with the unveilings. Names of the women receiving the plaques and the date of the dedicatory ceremonials are as follows: First district-Margaret Hill McCarter, Topeka, novelist, December 7; Amelia Earhart Putnam, Atchison, first aviatrix to fly across the Atlantic ocean, December 8. Second district-Celia Dayton, Spring Hill, first woman physician in Kansas, December 10; Clarinda Howard Nichols, Kansas City, first Kansas woman to sit in a territorial legislature and contend for property rights of women, December 11. Third district-Esther Clark Hill, Chanute, poet, November 27; Osa Leighty (Mrs. Martin) Johnson, Chanute, African and South Seas explorer, November 27. Fourth district-Mary Jane Watson Sort, Emporia, first woman school teacher in Emporia, December 4; Eliza Ann Huffaker, Council Grove, missionary teacher to the Kaw Indians, December 5. Fifth district-Addie Cowley Bradley, El Dorado, first white girl child born in the district, October 28; Susanna Madora Salter, Argonia, said to be the first woman mayor in the United States, November 10. Sixth district-Mary A. Wale, Ellis, one of the first woman mayors to serve with five women council members, November 22; Mary Calkins Bissell, Phillipsburg, mother of the first white child born in the district and coeditor of the Phillipsburg Herald, November 23. Seventh district-Carrie A. Nation, Medicine Lodge, temperance crusader, November 9; Minnie Tamar Johnson Grinstead, Liberal, first woman to serve in the Kansas legislature as a member of the House of Representatives, November 20.
The following persons will serve as officers of the Dickinson County Historical Society for the ensuing year: Mrs. A. B. Seelye, president; Mrs. H. L. Humphrey, vice president; Mrs. O. L. Thisler, Jr., treasurer, and J. H. Giles, secretary. It is planned to house relics and records of the society in the Abilene Public Library when the proposed addition to the library building is completed.
Recently elected officers of the Shawnee Mission Indian Historical Society are: Mrs. Walter E. Gresham, president; Mrs. R. R. Sandmeyer, vice president; Mrs. A. H. Buckley, recording secretary; Mrs. C. C. Terry, treasurer; Mrs. Ottis Fisher, custodian, and Mrs. A. E. Fraser, historian.
112 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
New officers of the Lindsborg Historical Society are: John A. Holmberg, president; H. J. Thorstenberg, vice president; Henry Olson, treasurer, and G. E. Eberhardt, secretary.
Clare A. Coe, of Topeka, was elected president of the Twentieth Kansas infantry organization at the annual election held in Topeka, October 9, 1933. Other officers elected were: Fred Recob, Topeka, vice president; Jerry Springstead, Topeka, secretary and treasurer, and Frank B. Dodds, of Lawrence, historian.
At the annual meeting of the Chanute Old Settlers' Association held in Chanute, October 19, 1933, the following officers were reelected for another year: J. W. Heminger, president; Mrs. W. W. Alcott, vice president; Mrs. Minnie Carter, secretary-treasurer, and Mrs. Letha Hawkins, registrar.
The granite stone marking the site of Wichita's first school at Twelfth street and Jackson Avenue was dedicated November 9, 1933. William Finn, the teacher, conducted the school during the winter of 1869-1870.
At the December meeting of the Southwest Historical Society of Dodge City in "The Corral," historical museum at the Merrit Beeson home, H. B. Bell was reelected president and H. F. Schmidt was reelected secretary and treasurer.
Sen. Arthur Capper addressed the annual meeting of the Shawnee County Old Settlers' Association held in Topeka December 5, 1933. Officers elected to serve during the ensuing year are: Emery Brobst, president; Miss M. L. Addis, vice president, and Miss A. A. Woodward, secretary and treasurer.
In celebration of the seventy-fifth anniversary year of the founding of Salina, the Saline county chapter, Native Daughters of Kansas, erected a marker at the site of the landing of the first free ferry over the Smoky Hill river, near the west approach to the Iron avenue bridge, Salina. The marker was unveiled December 10, 1933, by Mrs. Christie Campbell Loomis, of Omaha, daughter of the late A. M. Campbell and Mrs. Campbell, who operated the ferry.
Other 1933 old settlers' meetings which were announced in the press and not previously mentioned in this magazine were held in Ohio Grove and Roy school districts, of Ottawa county, October 1; Palmyra township, Douglas county, October 10; Iola, October 10; Brownville community, near Colby, October 22; Rush Center, November 8; Petrolia, Neosho county, November 15, and School District No. 1, Osborne county, November 17.