Kansas Historical Quarterly - Notes - February 1939
February 1939 (Vol. 8, No. 1), pages 111 to 112.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
A stone marker honoring the Thirty-second U. S. Volunteer infantry, a unit participating in the Philippine war, was dedicated at Fort Leavenworth, September 16, 1938. The memorial, inscribed with the names of men killed in action, was erected at the old camp ground where the unit mobilized and drilled. Col. Louis A. Craig was commanding officer. Newly elected officers of the Thirty-second Volunteer Infantry Association, sponsors of the memorial, are: William P. Murphy, Shawnee, Okla., president; John Jenkins, St. Louis, Mo., first vice-president; Karl D. White, Independence, second vice-president; Ernest Richards, Waterville, secretary-treasurer.
New officers of the Douglas County Historical Society elected at its annual meeting in Lawrence, November 14, 1938, are: W. C. Simons, president; Irma Spangler, first vice-president; S. S. Learned, second vice-president; Ida Lyons, secretary, and Walter Varnum, treasurer. Members of the board of directors are: Cora Dolbee, Mrs. Guy Bigsby, Agnes Emery, A. E. Huddleston, Fred N. Raymond, and Hugh Means.
At the annual meeting of the Ness County Historical Society held in Ness City, November 19, 1938, the following officers were elected: Mrs. Grace Beardslee, president; Mrs. Nina Bondurant, vice-president; Martha Borthwick, treasurer, and Mrs. Nellie Holtom, secretary. Members of the executive committee and the townships they represent are: Luke Pembleton, Center; Mrs. James Cole, Bazine; John O'Brien, Highpoint; Lea Maranville, Franklin; Mrs. Roy Roth, Johnson; Mrs. Mary Meik, Nevada; Mrs. Bell Unruh, Forrester; J. C. M. Anderson, Waring; R. J. Price, Eden; Mrs. Naomi Henry, Ohio.
The annual dinner of the Shawnee County Old Settlers Association was held in Topeka, December 5, 1938. W. J. Rickenbacher was elected president of the society, and J. H. Heberling, vicepresident. Maude Snyder was reelected secretary-treasurer.
New officers of the Augusta Historical Society elected January 13, 1939, are: Stella B. Haines, president; Mrs. C. C. Durkee, vicepresident; K. L. Grimes, secretary, and Clyde Gibson, treasurer. The society announces that Augusta's first building, recently occupied by a woodwork shop, has been purchased and will be preserved. Miss Haines appointed as a permanent committee to look after this building: George Smith, C. C. Durkee, John Moyle, R. A. Haines, Will Cron and R. A. Cox; and as a permanent committee in charge of the historical room in the intermediate grade building: Mrs. Clyde Gibson, Mrs. David Peebler, Mrs. C. A. Viets, Mrs. Will Cron, Mrs. K. L. Grimes and Mrs. A. N. Taylor.
Nearly 350 persons attended the second annual dinner meeting of the Lyon county chapter of the Kansas Historical Society held in Emporia, January 30, 1939. Officers of the society are: William L. Huggins, president; Harry A. Wayman, first vice-president; Frank A. Eckdall, second vice-president; E. C. Ryan, secretary; John Langley, treasurer. Historians: Mrs. F. L. Gilson, Mrs. Fanny Vickery and Lucina Jones. Directors: 0. J. Corbett, Emporia, first ward; J. J. Wingfield, Agnes City township; L. H. Ames, Americus township; Richard Langley, Center township; Mrs. R. D. Carpenter, Elmendaro township; Park L. IvIorse, Emporia township; Catherine H. Jones, Emporia, second ward; Mrs. Alice E. Snyder, Emporia, third ward; William A. White, Emporia, fourth ward; Robert D. Lumley, Fremont township; Clarence Paine, Ivy township; Mrs. J. C. McKinney, Jackson township; Ben Talbot, Pike township; Tom Price, Reading township; Mrs. William Sheets, Waterloo township. The chapter is encouraging Lyon county high schools to form special history study groups. Membership now totals 352, including twenty-one life members.
Gilbert J. Garraghan's three-volume history, The Jesuits of the Middle United States (New York, America. Press, 1938), reviews quite extensively the histories of Kansas' Osage mission in present Neosho county and the Pottawatomie mission at St. Mary's. The study presents a well-documented and comprehensive record of Catholic missionary work conducted through these major missions. Ralph Volney Harlow, professor of American history at Syracuse University, is author of a new biography Gerrit Smith-Philanthropist and Reformer (New York, Henry Holt and Co., 1939). Smith (1797-1874), a leading reformist, among other things labored for Sunday observance. He advocated vegetarianism, and opposed the use of tobacco and alcoholic beverages. He joined the antislavery crusade in 1835 and became one of the best known Abolitionists in the United States. After Kansas was thrown open to settlement Smith contributed much time and money toward the campaign to "save" Kansas for freedom. He was in sympathy and in communication with John Brown, even entertaining him in his
112 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Peterboro, N. Y., home as late as April, 1859. After Brown's raid at Harpers Ferry Smith became temporarily insane. Until his death he consistently denied complicity in this plot against federal authorities. But, as Mr. Harlow points out, despite Smith's vehement denials and libel suits, available evidence bears out contemporaneous newspaper charges that he was an accessory before the fact. Two chapters of this book are of especial interest to students of Kansas' territorial history: "Gerrit Smith and the Kansas Aid Movement" and "Gerrit Smith and John Brown."