Kansas Historical Notes - February 1945
(Vol. 13 No. 5), page 320.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
Fred W. Brinkerhoff, president of the Kansas Historical Society, was the featured speaker at a meeting of the Franklin County Historical Society in Forest park, Ottawa, September 1, 1944. New officers of the county society who were elected at the meeting include: Edmund Lister, president; B. M. Ottaway, vicepresident; Mrs. J. R. Finley, recording secretary, and Miss Clara Kaiser, corresponding secretary and treasurer. Mrs. Dorothy Needham Belt of Lane was elected a director to succeed her father, Dana Needham, deceased. Other directors were reelected. J. E. Shinn was the retiring president.
The Clark County Historical Society is advocating the establishment of a community center at Ashland as a permanent memorial to the pioneers and the service men and women of Clark county. It would house a museum and recreation hall and would serve as a meeting place for civic and patriotic organizations. New officers elected at the society's annual meeting on December 9, 1944, are: Mrs. Ruth Clark Mull, president; Charles A. Wallingford, vice-president; Mrs. Melville Campbell Harper, recording secretary; Mrs. Villa Harvey Ihde, assistant recording secretary; Mrs. Lillie Skelton Nunemacher, corresponding secretary; Sidney Grimes, treasurer; Sherman G. Ihde, auditor; Mrs. Dorothy Berryman Shrewder, historian, and Mrs. Effie Smith, curator. Mrs. T. T. Smith was the retiring president.
Officers of the Chetopa Historical Society, formally organized on January 22, 1945, are: Roscoe Cellars, president; Wm. L. Barnhill, vice-president; Mrs. St. Elmo Porter, secretary, and George Lyon, treasurer.
The Kansas Catholic Historical Society is continuing to file the three Catholic diocesan newspapers and other church publications and anniversary booklets, according to the Rev. Angelus Lingenfelser, of Atchison, secretary. He reports that numerous inquiries for Catholic historical information are being answered, and also that the Rev. Bernard Souse, O. S. B., is collecting the life history of every priest who attended St. Benedict's college.
Junction City newspapers have recently announced that the site of the Indian monument south of the city, a one-acre tract located in the west half of the northeast quarter of sec. 25, T. 12, R. 5, has been saved from tax foreclosure.