Kansas Historical Quarterly - Notes - May 1944
(Vol. 13, No. 2), page 160.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
The Kansas History Teachers Association and the Kansas Council for the Social Studies held a joint meeting in rooms of the Kansas Historical Society and Topeka High School April 15, 1944. Featured speakers and their subjects at the morning session in the Memorial building --Prof. A. Bower Sageser, Kansas State College of Manhattan, presiding-were: Prof. John D. Bright, of Washburn University, "Changing Emphases in the Teaching of History"; Miss Elizabeth Cochran, of the Pittsburg State Teachers College, "Handmaidens of History," and Prof. C. M. Correll, of Kansas State College, "Prospects for Permanent Peace." Miss Ruth E. Litchen of the University of Kansas, Lawrence, presided at the afternoon session. Prof. Hilden Gibson, of the University of Kansas, spoke on "The Social Studies and the Postwar World," and Mrs. Elizabeth Ott, Topeka Elementary Schools, Miss Esther Anderson, Junior High School, Kansas City, and Miss Julia Emery, Wichita High School East, spoke on "Beginning a Postwar Program." New officers of the Kansas History Teachers Association are: J. D. Bright, president; Rob Roy MacGregor, Southwestern College of Winfield, vice-president; Miss Della Warden, Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia, secretary-treasurer. The executive board includes the above officers and Professor Sageser, Miss Cochran, Prof. James C. Malin of the University of Kansas, and Miss Jessica Smith of Wichita High School North. New officers of the Kansas Council for the Social Studies are: Miss Ruth E. Litchen, president; Grace Karr, of Winfield High School, vice-president; Miss Robena Pringle, of Topeka High School, secretary-treasurer, and J. C. Mordy, of Manhattan High School, on the board of directors. No meeting was held in 1943. This was the seventeenth annual meeting of the Kansas History Teachers Association.
Complete skeletons of the saber-tooth tiger and giant sloth are among the outstanding exhibits in the museum of McPherson College, McPherson, located on the fourth floor of Harnly hall. Dr. R. E. Mohler is curator.