Kansas Historical Notes - November 1942
November 1942 (Vol. 11, No. 4), pages 419 to 422.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
The Washington County Oregon Trail Memorial Association held its annual meeting at Hanover August 14, 1942. Reelected officers include: Leo E. Dicker, president; Dr. F. H. Rhoades, Vicepresident; Ed. Flaherty, secretary; John Merk, treasurer; Dugald Spence and Fred Brockmeyer, trustees. Henry Brockmeyer was elected a trustee to succeed the late E. H. Miller. The association, organized to preserve historic Hollenberg ranch house, a Pony Express station, is official agent for the state in the management of the property recently purchased by Kansas. Minor repairs have been made on the building.
The Greater Kansas City Council of the American Pioneer Trails Association was organized at a meeting held in Kansas City, Mo., August 25, 1942. Mrs. J. W. Quarrier, past president of the Shawnee Mission Indian Historical Society, was elected president; Mrs. Gilbert Stecker, representing Kansas City, Mo., Frank A. Davis, representing Kansas City, Kan., and Nat D. Jackson, representing Jackson county, Missouri, vice-presidents; Mrs. James Anderson, recording secretary; Louisa P. Johnston, corresponding secretary; Mrs. Clyde H. Porter, treasurer; W. R. Honnell, historian, and Dwight B. Newton, research secretary. Mrs. Inghram D. Hook is chairman of the board of directors and Louis M. Nourse is educational director. On September 24-27, 1942, the council was host to the annual convention of the American Pioneer Trails Association presided over by Dr. Howard R. Driggs, of New York City, the national president. George A. Root represented the Kansas Historical Society. New officers of the Wilson County Historical Society, elected at the annual meeting in Fredonia September 5, 1942, are: Mrs. Harry Smith, president; Mrs. C. 0. Pingrey, Vice-president; Mrs. Bernice Ludwick, secretary; Mrs. G. L. Caughron, treasurer, and W. H. Edmundson, historian. The society meets regularly during the year. Historical papers presented at these meetings are typed and bound in volumes of a uniform size for preservation. The annual convention of the Kansas department of the American Legion was held in Hutchinson September 6 and 7, 1942. Newly elected officers include: Beryl Johnson, Topeka, commander; Tom W. Flory, Ottawa, vice-commander; Everett Garrison, Osborne, na-
420 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
tional committeeman; Lee Kemper, Garden City, alternate committeeman; the Rev. John McManus, Wilson, chaplain; John Towle, Topeka, historian, and J. H. Geier, Pittsburg, sergeant-at-arms. Irvin L. Cowger, Topeka, is department adjutant. The auxiliary of the Kansas department held its convention in Topeka June 2 and 3, 1942. New officers are: Mrs. Camille Waugh, Wellington, president; Mrs. Jennie Hoyt, Lyons, vice-president; Lulu V. Faulkner, Topeka, secretary; Mrs. Ila Wray, Topeka, treasurer; Mrs. Ruby Vossloh, Abilene, historian, and Mrs. Marcia Cotterill, McPherson, chaplain.
Dedication of the Turkey Red Wheat monument in the Newton Athletic Park September 10, 1942, attracted national attention when Life Magazine sent a photographer to secure pictures of the monument and background scenes. The monument was erected under the sponsorship of the Newton Junior Chamber of Commerce and was dedicated to the Mennonite settlers of that area. The memorial is a figure of a pioneer farmer, 11 feet high, mounted on a six foot base. A Russian church, ships bringing the immigrants and wheat to America, trains carrying them to the Middle West, and a farm scene near a church and school, tell the story in stone. The inscription reads, "Commemorating Entry Into Kansas From Russia of Turkey Red Hard Wheat by Mennonites, 1874." Sculptor Max Nixon of Topeka designed and chiseled the monument from native stone.
The annual meeting of the recently reorganized Franklin County Historical Society was held in Ottawa September 15, 1942. Kirke Mechem, secretary of the Kansas Historical Society, was the Speaker. The society has been granted permanent quarters in Memorial hall on the third floor of the county courthouse at Ottawa.
At the annual reunion of the Twentieth Kansas Infantry Association in Topeka October 11 and 12, 1942, the following officers were elected: Albert Shipley, Coffeyville, president; George B. Daily, Medford, Okla., vice-president; Harry W. Brent, Topeka, secretary and treasurer, and Jerry Springstead, Topeka, historian. The Twentieth Kansas auxiliary elected Mrs. Arthur Gibson, Topeka, president; Mrs. H. 0. Davis, Anthony, vice-president; Mrs. Edwin Barrett, Junction City, secretary; Mrs. Margaret Hopkins, Manhattan, treasurer; Mrs. Homer Limbird, Olathe, chaplain, and Mrs. V. N. Hammerli, Topeka, reporter.
KANSAS HISTORICAL NOTES 421
Work is proceeding on the restoration of the main building of the old Iowa, Sauk and Fox Indian mission two miles east of Highland. The second press to be brought to present Kansas was set up at this mission in 1843 three years before completion of the structure now being restored. E. D. Saunders, a historian employed on the project, reports the finding of some of the plant's original type and believes the approximate location of the first printing office building has now been established. He also announces the discovery of the foundation of another building which was "exceptionally strong," judging from the type of its foundation. It stood about 100 feet southeast of the main building.
Dr. James C. Malin, professor of history at the University of Kansas and associate editor of The Kansas Historical Quarterly, was elected vice-president of the Agricultural History Society at its annual meeting in Washington May 5, 1942. Other officers for 1942-1943 are: Carl R. Woodward, Rhode Island State College, president, and Arthur G. Peterson, United States Bureau of Agricultural Economics, secretary-treasurer. Fletcher M. Green, University of North Carolina, and Lois Olson, United States Soil Conservation Service, were elected to the executive committee. The society will hold a joint session with the American Historical Association at Columbus, Ohio, December 29-31, 1942. The general theme of the meeting will be "Civilization at a Crisis." At the joint session, "National Agricultural Policies of the United Nations," a review of Russian agricultural policies and, their historical background will be presented by Dr. M. P. Timoshenko, of the Food Research Institute, Stanford. British methods will be discussed by James A. Scott-Watson of Oxford University and now agricultural attache of the British embassy, and policies of the United States will be outlined by Doctor Malin.
A 46-page handbook, The Protection of Cultural Resources Against the Hazards of War, issued in February, 1942, will be helpful to those concerned with the preservation of libraries, archival institutions and museums. The booklet was prepared by the committee on conservation of cultural resources of the National Resources Planning Board and is for sale by the Superintendent of Documents, Washington, D. C., for ten cents. Other pamphlets relating to cultural resources and the war have been issued in the "Bulletins of the National Archives" series, and are distributed through the National Archives, Washington, D. C. They include
422 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
The Care of Records in a National Emergency (No. 3), and Historical Units of Agencies of the First World War (No. 4).
Two letters written by Mrs. Hannah Anderson Ropes from Lawrence in 1855-1856 were edited by Charles Lyon Chandler of Philadelphia and published in the June, 1942, issue of The Mississippi Valley Historical Review, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Mrs. Ropes was author of the book Six Months in Kansas. By a Lady (Boston, John P. Jewett and Co., 1856).
"Using Volunteers in the Local Historical Society's Program" is the title of the August, 1942, Bulletin of the American Association for State and Local History. The twenty-four page article was prepared by Loring McMillen, director of the Staten Island Historical Society, and deals with the aims and work of the smaller historical societies. This Bulletin is one of a series of publications for members of the association which should be helpful to the city and county historical societies of Kansas. Any local society or individual may join. Further information may be secured from the American Association for State and Local History, Box 6101, Washington, D. C. N. H. Miller, of the Kansas Historical Society, is membership chairman for Kansas.
A thirty-three page, illustrated pamphlet entitled, "History of St. Catherine's Parish, Catherine, Kansas," by the Rev. Matthew Pekari, was recently printed by the St. Joseph's College and Military Academy Press of Hays. The town of Catherine was laid out in 1876 by German colonists who emigrated from the Lower Volga region of Russia.