Kansas Historical Notes - November 1945
November 1945 (Vol. 13 No. 5), pages 540 to 542.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
Frank H. Roberts, 94, Kansas' oldest editor, died September 26, 1945. For eighty-three years he was identified with the Oskaloosa Independent, a newspaper established July 11, 1860, by his father, John Wesley Roberts. Today this newspaper, which proclaims under its front-page banner, "Six Months Older Than the State of Kansas; Published 85 Years by Three Generations of the Roberts Family," is now entirely of the third generation, John Wilkins Roberts being the editor. The Independent is also the oldest continuous weekly newspaper in Kansas published under the same name in the same town. The weekly Kansas Chief, established by Sol. Miller at White Cloud June 4, 1857, is still being printed and is therefore older, but it moved from White Cloud to Troy in 1872. C. C. Calnan is its present publisher. The oldest newspaper retaining its original title through the years is the Leavenworth Times, established as a weekly March 7, 1857, and issued as a daily since 1858. The D. R. Anthonys of Leavenworth, another famous family of editors whose third generation is now publishing the paper, did not take over the Times until 1871, although the senior Anthony was publisher of other papers in Leavenworth as early as 1861.
New officers of the Shawnee Mission Indian Historical Society of northeast Johnson county elected September 6, 1945, include: Mrs. A. M. Meyers, president; Mrs. K. S. Browne, vice-president; Mrs. E. C. Marlowe, recording secretary; Mrs. Frank D. Belinder, treasurer; Mrs. John L. Barkley, corresponding secretary; Mrs. M. Y. Griffin, historian, and Mrs. A. E. Wedd, curator. Mrs. C. V. Scoville is the retiring president.
The Chase County Historical Society met in Cottonwood Falls, September 8, 1945, and reelected the following officers: George T. Dawson, Elmdale, president; Henry Rogler, Matfield Green, vicepresident; Mrs. Helen Austin, Cottonwood Falls, secretary; Tom R. Wells, Elmdale, treasurer, and Mrs. Clara B. Hildebrand, Cottonwood Falls, historian. Mr. Dawson named the following to the executive committee: C. W. Hawkins, Clements; Howel H. Jones, Cedar Point; D. M. Smith and George Miller, Cottonwood Falls, and Mr. Rogler. Because of the war, the society did not meet in 1944.
KANSAS HISTORICAL NOTES 541
Junction City officially honored its highest-ranking soldier, Lt. Gen. John C. H. (Cliff) Lee, on the general's visit to his native city September 11-13, 1945. General Lee served under General Eisenhower in World War II as chief of the army services of supply forces in the European theater of operations. Accounts of Lee's reception and biographical information were featured by the Junction City Union and Republic at the time.
Sen. B. F. Bowers was the featured speaker at the annual meeting of the Franklin County Historical Society in Ottawa, September 12, 1945. Included among the officers Who Were reelected are: Edmund Lister, president; B. M. Ottaway, vice-president; Mrs. J. R. Finley, secretary, and Miss Clara Kaiser, recording secretary and treasurer. J. M. Conard was elected to the board of directors to fill the vacancy caused by the death of J. E. Shinn. Other directors are: Hiram Allen, Williamsburg; Mrs. Dorothy Needham Belt, Lane, and Mrs. Ada McCracken, Ottawa.
The forty-fifth annual meeting of the Douglas County Old Settlers Association was held at Lawrence September 15, 1945. The presidential address, by Dr. Edward Bumgardner, dealt with the life of Sen. Edmund G. Ross. New officers of the association are: Mrs. Lena K. Huddleston, president; Mrs. Lena Owen, vice-president; I. F. Eberhart, secretary; Mrs. Guy Bigsby, treasurer, and John S. Akers, necrologist.
Officers of the Riley County Historical Association reelected at the annual meeting held in Manhattan, October 3, 1945, include: Walter E. McKeen, president; Mrs. G. H. Failyer, vice-president; Mrs. Medora Hays Flick, secretary; Mrs. Caroline A. Smith, treasurer, and F. I. Burt, curator. Directors are: Clyde K. Rodkey, Mrs. Eva Knox, George A. Filinger, Joe D. Haines, Mrs. F. F. Harrop, Sam C. Charlson, Miss Mary C. Lee, Mrs. Smith and Mr. McKeen. G. H. Failyer, who was elected president emeritus, died October 16. The association has taken the lead in planning for a community "Peace Memorial," honoring the veterans of World War II and other Wars.
Newly-elected officers of the Ness County Historical Society which met at Ness City October 4, 1945, are: Mrs. Fred Barrows, president; Mrs. Esther Lennen-Stewart, secretary, and Lea Maranville, treasurer. Directors are: Mrs. Nina Bondurant, Mrs. Grace Beardslee and C. M. Pembleton.
542 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
The land and tenant policies of William Scully, member of a prominent land-owning and "moneyed" family of Ireland who bought thousands of acres of land in Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri in the latter half of the nineteenth century were reviewed by Paul Wallace Gates, professor of history at Cornell University, in an article "Frontier Landlords and Pioneer Tenants," published in the June, 1945, issue of the Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society, Springfield, Ill. Scully purchased land in four Kansas counties between 1870 and 1886, Gates reported. The counties, the number of acres in his holdings, and the cost were: Marion, 55,666 acres, $179,197; Dickinson, 1,120 acres, $1,400 (sic) ; Butler 8,605 acres, $77,410; Marshall, 5,115 acres, $55,252.
The history of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad Co., which is celebrating its diamond anniversary this year, has been featured in a 132-page illustrated Study by Sylvan R. Wood under the title Locomotives of the Katy, issued by the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, Inc., of Boston, in January, 1944, and in a 32-page illustrated pamphlet The Opening of the Great Southwest issued by the company July 1, 1945. The M-K-T, which built south from Junction City, was the first railroad to enter Texas from the north.
Wichita 1866-1883, Cradle Days of a Midwestern City is the title of a recent book of limited edition, compiled and edited by R. M. "Dick" Long and printed by the McCormick-Armstrong Co., of Wichita. One hundred and nine pictures are featured. Mr. Long, who is news editor of the Wichita Eagle, also wrote the running story which accompanies the early-day scenes. It is an unusually attractive publication.