Jump to Navigation

Kansas Historical Quarterly - Spring 1976

Kansas Historical Quarterly, Spring 1976

Volume 42

Spring 1976, No. 1

Cover and contents

Arthur J. Stanley, Jr. "Fort Leavenworth: Dowager Queen of Frontier Posts," p. 1.

Kenneth S. Davis, "Portrait of a Changing Kansas," p. 24.

Kenneth C. Bronson, "The Local Press and the Changing Community," p. 48.

Robert C. McMath, Jr. "Preface to Populism: The Origin and Economic Development of the 'Southern' Farmers' Alliance in Kansas," p. 55.

R. Douglas Hurt, "Davis H. Waite: Travels in Kansas, 1878," p. 66.

The Annual Meeting: Containing Reports of the Executive Director, Treasurer, Executive and Nominating Committees, Election of Officers, and Other Proceedings of the Board of Directors; List of Directors of the Society, p. 73.

Bypaths of Kansas History, p. 104.

Kansas History as Published in the Press, p. 105.

Kansas Historical Notes, p. 107.

 

The Cover

The Rookery, which has been completed by 1834, is the oldest building at Fort Leavenworth and the oldest in the state continuously occupied as a residence since its construction. The first territorial governor, Andrew H. Reeder, lived here in 1854 when he came to Kansas to assume office. Showing at the right is a portion of one of the Syracuse houses, built in 1855 by workmen brought from Syracuse, N. Y., by an architect of that city. Color transparency courtesy Fort Leavenworth Museum.