Kansas State Capitol - Online tour - Dome video
At various times in the history of the Capitol, we have been able to offer tours to the dome. At the current time dome tours are not available due to the construction on the Capitol building. However, we can offer this video showing a tour to the dome. The video was produced by WIBW-TV, Topeka
- The state legislature approved the dome in 1881 and the construction began in 1885.
- There are 296 steps leading up from the fifth floor to the top of the dome.
- The bronze statue of the Kansa warrior, Ad Astra, was placed on top of the dome in 2002. It is 22 feet and 2 inches tall and weighs 4,420 pounds.
- The outer copper dome extends approximately 75 feet above this inner dome.
- The copper sheeting covering the outer dome turns green when it oxidizes.
- The inner dome is composed of glass panels.
On April 30, 2009 the 100,000th visitor climbed the 296 steps to the dome.