Kansas State Capitol - Online tour - Pioneer Women Memorial
Located in the southwest quadrant of Capitol Square, this statue was dedicated on May 11, 1937. The memorial represents the confident and watchful pioneer mother protecting her children. It was donated by the Kansas Pioneer Women’s Association, founded by women who came to Kansas as pioneers or were daughters of early settlers. During the organization’s 1927 membership drive, anyone who contributed $1 or more was granted membership. Robert Merrell Gage created this work (see Abraham Lincoln memorial).