Kansas State Capitol - Online Tour - State Library
The State Library was founded by the Kansas territorial legislature in 1855. The state auditor also served as librarian. In 1900 the library was moved to beautiful new quarters in its present north wing location, when Annie Diggs was state librarian.
Built to include the first electric lighting in the Capitol, the library's second deck floors were glass to take advantage of the flow of light. A third deck was added in 1917. Ornate detailing, brass railing, and brass sunflowers highlight the beautiful restored library.