M-16 The Civil War Comes to Kansas: Quantrill's Raid on Lawrence
The student will describe important details of Quantrill's Raid after reading two articles, one pro-Union and one pro-Confederacy. The student will identify similarities and differences in the two accounts using a Venn diagram worksheet. The teacher will lead a discussion about key points of the raid and the role of persuasion and point of view in both articles. The student will be able to place the battle in the larger context of Bleeding Kansas and the Civil War. The lesson is written for one class period.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card.
Kansas History, Geography and Social Studies Standards
Standard #1: Choices have consequences
- 1. 2: The student will analyze the context under which choices are made and raw conclusions about the motivations and goals of the decision-makers.
Standard #3: Societies are shaped by beliefs, ideas, and diversity
- 3.1: The student will recognize and evaluate significant beliefs, contributions, and ideas of the many diverse peoples and groups and their impact on individuals, communities, states, and nations.
7th Grade: Kansas College and Career Ready Standards
- RH.6-8.1: The student will cite textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources.
- RH.6-8.2: The student will determine central ideas of information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary of the source distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
- RH.6-8.3: The student will identify key steps in a text's description of a process related to history/social studies.
- RH.6-8.6: The student identifies aspects of a text that reveal an author's point of view or purpose (e.g., loaded language, inclusion or avoidance of particular facts).
- RH.6-8.7: Integrate quantitative or technical information expressed in words in a text with a version of that information expressed visually (e.g., in a flowchart, diagram, model, graph, or table).
Speaking and Listening:
- SL.7.1: The students will engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 7 topics, texts, and issues, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- SL.7.2: The student will analyze the main ideas and supporting details presented in diverse media and formats (e.g. visually, quantitatively, orally (and explain how the ideas clarify a topic, text, or issue under study).