Online Exhibits - Sinners and Saints, Gambling Timeline
Vice and Reform in Kansas
Kansas law makes it illegal for anyone to set up any table or gambling device for the purpose of playing any game of chance.
Kansas lawmakers permit limited gambling at fairs.
Kansas law prohibits slot machines.
Kansas lawmakers approve a state lottery and pari-mutuel betting.
Sinners & Saints is an online exhibit developed by the Kansas Museum of History.
- A Moral and Pure Society - Creating better communities was the goal.
- Alcohol - The politics behind alcohol reform.
- Agitate, Educate, Organize! - Women's role in prohibition laws.
- Gambling - Betting men took money away from their families.
- Gambling Timeline - Kansas issues.
- Prostitution - Seen as threatening the moral fabric of society.
- Prostitution Timeline - Kansas issues.
- Smoking - Cigarettes were believed to corrupt youth.
- Smoking Timeline - Kansas & U.S. issues.
- Vice in the 20th and 21st Centuries - They're still vices, but now the issue is health.
- Kansas Reformed? - The definition of "vice" has shifted over time.
Contact us at KansasMuseum@kshs.org