The Kansas Historical Society's collections include major railroad resources. Find a number of these listed below, many are available to search online.
Railroads - more than 3,600 items can be found on Kansas Memory, the Historical Society's digital collections.
Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway - more than 2,500 items from Records of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company, 1859-1995, manuscript collection no. 789. This collection contains approximately 3,000 boxes of the railway company's own records.
Selected Santa Fe materials online
- Steam locomotive diagrams and classifications
- Diesel locomotive diagrams and classifications
- Brief box list of company records
- Agricultural demonstration train records
- Film collection
- Rolling stock engineering drawings
- Facilities at Albuquerque
- Payroll Records
Prior Service Records - files were created to document prior service for each employee who was working for the railroad on August 29, 1935, for retirement credit. See an example of a prior service file.
Note: The index to the prior service records is available online through our with Ancestry.com partnership accessible free of charge to Kansans with driver's licenses.
Santa Fe Magazine - our collections include a complete run of the employee magazine from 1906 to 1983 with a consolidated index. The copyright free issues are available online at the Hathi Trust website:
Volumes 1-4 full text
Volumes 8-17 full text
Volumes 18-57 search only
Select records on microfilm:
- Splinters index and magazine, 1859-1940 - MS 757-MS 765.01
- Records, 1879-1906 - MS 372-MS 373, circulars, time tables, train robbery correspondence, Meade's history of the Santa Fe, and advertisements of railroad oriented companies
- Rate schedules, 1870-1879 - MS 405.01
- Records and correspondence, 1869-1880 - MS 653-MS 659, court cases and treasurer's records
- Correspondence, 1873-1893 - MS 706-MS 727, 1884 list of Santa Fe buildings
- List of buildings and leased lines, 18---19-- - MS 1213
- Payroll records, 18---19-- - MS 1500-MS 1517
- Daily construction journal, 1887 - MS 297.02
- Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway company records, 1896-1950 - MS 1253-MS 1254, includes Fred Harvey Company materials
Other Santa Fe collections:
- Fred Harvey System Business Records, 1937-1946
- Cyrus K. Holliday papers, 1854-1896, MS 146
- C. K. Holliday scrapbook and letters, 1864-1875 [i.e. 1927] (bulk 1864-1883), MS 70.01
- Cyrus K. Holliday papers of his estate, 1900-1908, MS 273.02
- Cyrus K. Holliday papers, 18-- , MS 1320-MS 1321
- Santa Fé train robberies, 1890-1895, MS 373.02
- Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad records, 1878-1944, MS 1131-MS 1132
Other railroad collections
- Across the Continent on the Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, by Alexander Gardner
- Kansas Rock Island Railroad - scanned maps of all of the Rock Island Line in Kansas and the accompanying land deeds. Please contact the reference staff for assistance.
- Anderson County, Kan., railroad maps, 1870-1919
- Major Railroad Manuscript Collections at KSHS
- Online Railroad Pamphlets for Immigrants
- Barnes Railroad Collection, 1963 – [ca.1971], MS 1312–MS 1313B
- The Building of the First Kansas Railroad South of the Kaw River, by Harold J. Henderson, August 1947
- Kansas Conflict: Populist Versus Railroader in the 1890's, by Donald E. Press, Autumn, 1977
- Thomas Ewing, Jr., and the Origins of the Kansas Pacific Railway Company, by David G. Taylor, Summer 1976
- Joseph W. Snell and Don W. Wilson, "The Birth of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad," (2 pts)
- D. Lane Hartsock, "The Impact of the Railroads on Coal Mining in Osage County, 1869-1910,"
Other railroad websites: