Read Kansas! Intermediate - I-10 Why Is the State Called Kansas?
The focus of this lesson designed for fourth graders is to learn the origin of the name Kansas and to understand some basic facts about the Kansa Indians. The students will read expository text as well as perform basic original research to determine the origins of the name of their city or county. The lesson is designed to take place over two class periods but can be adjusted to meet individual classroom needs.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card
4th Grade Kansas History Standards:
- Benchmark 3, Indicator 1: The student explains the origin of the name “Kansas.”
4th Grade Reading Standards:
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 5: The student adjusts reading rate to support comprehension when reading narrative, expository, technical, and persuasive texts.
4th Grade Writing Standards:
- Benchmark 1, Indicator 1: The student chooses and writes about a narrowed and focused idea and occasionally writes about a given prompt. (Ideas and Content: prewriting, drafting, revising: N,E,T)
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards (Common Core ELA):
- RF.4.4a-c: The student reads with sufficient accuracy and cluency to support comprehension.
- W.4.2a-e: The student writes informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.