Read Kansas! Intermediate - I-11 "Home on the Range"
This lesson teaches the history of the state song, “Home on the Range,” through expository text and a timeline. Fourth grade students will have the opportunity to examine the text of the song for meaning and to determine how the author creates the setting. This lesson is presented in four parts but can be adjusted to meet a variety of schedules.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card
4th Grade Kansas History Standards:
- Benchmark 3, Indicator 2: The student describes the history of the Kansas state song, “Home on the Range.”
- Benchmark 4, Indicator 1: The student creates and uses historical timelines.
4th Grade Reading Standards:
- Benchmark 3, Indicator 3: The student uses a dictionary or a glossary to determine an appropriate definition of a word or uses a thesaurus to expand vocabulary.
4th Grade Literature Standards:
- Benchmark 1, Indicator 2: The student identifies and describes the setting (e.g., environment, time of day or year, historical period, situation, place) of the story or literary text.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards:
- RI.4.4: The student determines the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words or phrases in a text relevant to a grade 4 topic or subject area.
- RL.4.3:The student describes in depth a character, settling, or event in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character's thoughts, words, or actions).