Read Kansas! Middle School - M-17 Civil War Comes to Kansas: The Battle of Mine Creek
The student will be able to mark the route of Price's Raid and the location of the Battle of Mine Creek after reading expository text. The student will identify key states, cities, rivers, and battle sites on a map. The student will also be able to place the battle in the larger context of Bleeding Kansas and the Civil War by completing a sequencing activity that relies on the student's knowledge of text structure and signal words. The lesson is written for one class period.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card
7th Grade Kansas History Standards:
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 6: The student describes important events in Kansas during the Civil War (e.g., Quantrill’s Raid on Lawrence, the Battle of Mine Creek, recruitment of volunteer regiments)
7th Grade Geography Standards:
- Benchmark 1, Indicator 1: The student locates major political and physical features of Earth from memory and describes the relative location of those features (e.g., Kansas City, Kansas River, Lawrence, Missouri River)
7th Grade Reading Standards:
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 2: The student reads expressively with appropriate pace, phrasing, intonation, and rhythm of speech.
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 5: The student adjusts reading rate to support comprehension when reading narrative, expository, technical, and persuasive texts.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards (Common Core ELA):
- RH.6-8.3: The student will identify key steps in a text's description of a process related to history/social studies.