Read Kansas! Middle School - M-32 Airplane Manufacturing in Kansas
This lesson focuses on the significance of the work of Kansans in the airplane manufacturing industry during the 1920s. Students will use magazine and newspaper articles from the period to understand the growth of the airplane manufacturing industry in Kansas and its relationship to the state's economy. This lesson may take one day plus a homework assignment.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card
Kansas History, Government and Social Studies Standards:
Standard #4: Societies experience continuity and change over time.
- 4.2: The student will analyze the context of continuity and change and the vehicles of reform, drawing conclusions about past change and potential future change.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards:
- RH.6-8.2: The student determines the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source, provides an accurate summary of the source distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
- RH.6-8.5: The student describes how a text presents information (e.g., sequentially, comparatively, causally).
- SL.7.1(a-e): The student will engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 7 topics, texts, and issues, bbuilding on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- Math.Content.7.EE.3: The student solves multi-step real-life and mathematical problems posed with positive and negative rational numbers in any form (whole numbers,fractions, and decimals), uses tools strategically. Applies properties of operations to calculate with numbers in any form; converts between forms as appropriate; and assesses the reasonableness of answers using mental computation and estimation strategies.