Read Kansas! Middle School - M-34 A New Deal for Kansas
In the 1930s Kansans experienced the compounded effects of the depression and the Dust Bowl. New Deal programs were implemented to combat these problems. In this lesson students will study one New Deal program, Rural Electrification Administration(REA). Students will use the SOAP (source, occasion, audience, purpose) graphic organizer with historic images to understand the cause and effect of the REA program on Kansas life. This lesson is designed to take one class period.
- Benchmark 5, Indicator 4: The student summarizes the effects of New Deal programs on Kansas life.
Common Core Reading Standards:
- RI.7.1: The student cites several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- Benchmark 4, Indicator 5: The student uses information from the text to make inferences and draw conclusions.
Common Core Writing:
- WHST.6-8.1(a-e): The student writes arguments focused on discipline-specific content.
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 1: The student develops one main idea and/or a thesis statement in response to a prompt.