Read Kansas! Primary - P-1 Living in Kansas Today
This kindergarten lesson helps students recognize differences between rural and urban environments. Students “read” photographs to identify differences between living on a farm and living in a city. It can be completed in three class periods.
To view a PDF of the front and back of each image, click on the card.
Kindergarten Kansas History Standards:
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 2: The student compares and contrasts his/her own life with life in a city and/or a rural community.
Kindergarten Reading Standards:
- Benchmark 1, Indicator 1: The student identifies sounds of both upper and lower case letters of the alphabet (Letter-sound Relationships).
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards (Common Core ELA):
- RF.K.1: The student demonstrates understanding of the organization and basic features of print. d. Recognizes and names all upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- RF.K.3.a: The student knows and applies grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. a. Demonstrates basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary or many of the most frequent sound for each consonant.
- RI.K.3: The student with prompting and support, describes the connection between two individuals, events, ideas, or pieces of information in a text.