Read Kansas! Primary - P-11 My Daily Life in Kansas
The purpose of this second grade lesson is to have students find similarities between their lives and those of people from the past. The students will use Read Kansas! cards to learn about daily life activities of an Osage boy and a pioneer girl. Students will identify similarities and use that information to write a paragraph or draw a picture comparing their daily life with one of these children from the past. The lesson can be completed in one or two class periods.
To view a PDF of the front and back of each image, click on the card.
Second Grade Kansas History Standards:
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 1: The student compares and contrasts daily life of an historic Plains Indian family, a pioneer family, and a modern family in Kansas.
Second Grade Reading Standards :
- Benchmark 4, Indicator 5: The student uses illustrations, text, and prior knowledge to make inferences and draw conclusions.
- Benchmark 4, Indicator 8: The student compares and contrasts information (e.g., topics, characters) between texts and within a single text.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards (Common Core ELA):
- RI.2.5: The student knows and uses various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
- RI.2.9: The student compares and contrasts the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.