Read Kansas! Primary - P-2 Where is Kansas?
This is an introductory lesson in Kansas geography that will teach kindergarten students how to find Kansas on a map, how to write the word “Kansas,” and when the state celebrates its birthday. The lesson also reinforces phonic and fine motor skills. The activities are presented as lessons to take three days, but this can be adjusted to meet individual teacher’s needs.
To view a PDF of the front and back of the card, click on the image.
Kindergarten Kansas History Standards:
- Benchmark 3, Indicator 2 The student understands that Kansas is a state in the United States and the significance of Kansas Day is the celebration of its birthday.
- Benchmark 3, Indicator 3 The student locates the state of Kansas using a map of the United States.
Kindergarten Reading Standards:
- Benchmark 1, Indicator 1 The student identifies sounds of both upper and lower case letters of the alphabet.
- Benchmark 1, Indicator 6 The student demonstrates an understanding of graphemes and phonemes (i.e., sound-symbol relationships) in written and spoken language.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards (Common Core ELA):
- RF.K.1.d: The student demonstrates understanding of the organization and basic features of print. d. Recognizes and names all upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- RF.K.2: The student demonstrates understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).