Student photo contest rules
Making a Difference in Your Kansas Community
Rules and Judging
The deadline for the Happy Birthday, Kansas! photo contest has been extended to 5 p.m. Friday, December 16, 2016. Prizes will be awarded as part of the Kansas Day celebration, January 27, 2017, at the Kansas State Capitol in Topeka. The theme of this year’s photo contest is Making a Difference in Your Kansas Community.
First place winners from each grade level will receive iPads, second place entries from each grade level will receive Kindles.
• First, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, 10th, 11th, 12th.
- Should tell a story based on the theme; they serve to document a moment in time.
- Judged on creativity, technical achievement, depiction of theme, and composition.
- Must be photographed in Kansas during 2016.
- Must be the work of the student.
- Must not be digitally manipulated or enhanced. Cropping and color correction are acceptable.
- Students may submit up to five photos, but are only eligible for one prize.
- Maximum file size is 8 MB.
In submitting photos, the student photographer acknowledges this is his or her work and transfers ownership to the Kansas Historical Society, thereby giving the Historical Society permission to make available to the public; sell images to researchers when requested; and use in publications, social media, websites, displays, and other places without payment or other consideration. Additionally, by submitting a photo that includes human subjects, the photographer is indicating that he or she has obtained full permission from those subjects for the photograph to be used in these manners.
Photo entries should be high quality JPGs (TIFs and PNGs are also accepted) and submitted using the entry form or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. When a submission is received, a confirmation will be emailed. Photos must be submitted by 5 p.m. CDT Friday, December 16, 2016.
Entries must include:
- Title and brief description of each photo
- Photographer’s full name, age, and grade
- County where the photo was taken
- Email address
- Mailing address
- Parent or guardian name and email address
- Statement of authorship
The Happy Birthday, Kansas! photo contest is sponsored by the Kansas legislative spouses in conjunction with the Kansas Historical Society.