When Smoke Curled Upward from Earth Lodges
Guided tour—Pawnee Indian Museum State Historic Site, Republic
Grades—Fifth thru Eighth
How did the environment influence the Pawnee? Did the Pawnee live in earth lodges, year round? How did life for the Pawnee change with the arrival of other cultures? What is the legend of the Pawnee Sacred Bundle?
This guided tour challenges students to use a variety of primary sources to develop an understanding of the Pawnee. Through group work at the site, the students will investigate specific aspects of Pawnee life and present their information. From all the presentations, the students will not only develop an understanding of how the environment shaped real peoples lives but also gain empathy towards the Pawnee Nation.
Kansas History, Government and Social Studies Standards
Standard #3 Societies are shaped by beliefs, ideas, and diversity
- 3.1: The student will recognize and evaluate significant beliefs, contributions, and ideas of the many diverse peoples and groups and their impact on individuals, communities, states and nations.
Standard #5 Relationships among people, places, ideas, and environments are dynamic
- 5.1: The student will recognize and evaluate dynamic relationships that impact lives in communities, states, and nations.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards:
- RI 5.2: The student will determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
- RI 5.4: The student will determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
- RI 5.9: The student will integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.
Download PDF with tour information for Kansas schools
Download PDF with tour information for Nebraska schools
Cost per student is $2. One adult enters free for every 10 students. Additional adults pay the student rate.
Length of tour: approximately ninety minutes.
Number of students in a group: For the best experience, we recommend no more than 25 students per tour.
Registration and scheduling: Contact the site administrator at 785-361-2255 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Tours must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance.
Other guided tours at Pawnee Indian Museum: