Jump to Navigation

Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas

missing
View at Kansas Memory

Date: Between 1920 and 1929

Level of Description: Item

Material Type: Photograph

Call Number: FK2.S5 T.76 WU *11

Unit ID: 225057

Summary: This black and white postcard shows a view of the Washburn campus and library in Topeka, Kansas. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.

Space Required/Quantity: [Not stated]

Title (Main title): Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas

Locators:

No Locators Identified