Jump to Navigation

Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

missing
View at Kansas Memory

Creator: Kansas State Historical Society

Date: June 1992

Level of Description: Item

Material Type: Photograph

Call Number: FK2.E3 F.79 *53-56

Unit ID: 228805

Summary: Four aerial photographs of Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Space Required/Quantity: [Not stated]

Title (Main title): Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

Locators:

No Locators Identified

Index Terms

Creators and Contributors