Jump to Navigation

Views of the stone house on the site of John Brown's fort, Linn County, Kansas

missing
View at Kansas Memory

Date: Between 1930 and 1939

Level of Description: Item

Material Type: Photograph

Call Number: FK2. L5 .79 *23-30

Unit ID: 228898

Summary: Several views of the stone house built on the site of John Brown's fort, near the Marais des Cygnes massacre. On May 19, 1858, Missouri border ruffian Charles Hamelton and some 30 other men rode through the village of Trading Post, Kansas, and captured 11 free-state men, and marched them into a ravine where they opened fire upon them. Five of the men were killed, five were seriously injured, and one escaped unharmed.
John Brown, arriving at the scene toward the end of June, built a "fort" some 220 yards south of the ravine. The land on which the fort was built belonged to Eli Snider, a blacksmith. Later he sold it to Brown's friend Charles C. Hadsall, who agreed to let Brown occupy it for military purposes. Brown and his men withdrew at the end of the summer, leaving the fort to Hadsall.
In later years Hadsall built a stone house adjoining the site of Brown's fort, enclosing the spring within the walls of the first floor. In 1941 the Kansas legislature authorized acceptance of the massacre site, including Hadsall's house, as a gift to the state from the Pleasanton Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1961 it provided funds for the restoration of the building, and in 1963 the entire property was turned over to the Kansas Historical Society for administration. A museum was established in the upper floor of the building in 1964. Today the park is operated as Marais des Cygnes Massacre State Historic Site.

Space Required/Quantity: [Not stated]

Title (Main title): Views of the stone house on the site of John Brown's fort, Linn County, Kansas

Locators:

No Locators Identified