Jump to Navigation

Charles Hadsall house at the Marais des Cygnes Massacre State Historic Site, Linn County, Kansas

missing
View at Kansas Memory

Date: Between 1960 and 1965

Level of Description: Item

Material Type: Photograph

Call Number: FK2.L5 .79 *31-32

Unit ID: 228900

Summary: These two photographs show the Charles Hadsall house after renovation. The house is located on the Marais des Cygnes Massacre State Historic Site. On May 19, 1858, Missouri border ruffian Charles Hamelton and some 30 other men rode through the village of Trading Post, Kansas, and captured 11 free-state men, and marched them into a ravine where they opened fire on them. Five of the men were killed, five were seriously injured, and one escaped unharmed.

John Brown, arriving at the scene toward the end of June, built a "fort" some 220 yards south of the ravine. The land on which the fort was built belonged to Eli Snider, a blacksmith. Later he sold it to Brown's friend Charles C. Hadsall, who agreed to let Brown occupy it for military purposes. Brown and his men withdrew at the end of the summer, leaving the fort to Hadsall.

In later years, Hadsall built a stone house adjoining the site of Brown's fort, enclosing the spring within the walls of the first floor. In 1941, the Kansas legislature authorized acceptance of the massacre site, including Hadsall's house, as a gift to the state from the Pleasanton Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1961, it provided funds for the restoration of the building, and in 1963, the entire property was turned over to the Kansas Historical Society for administration. A museum was established in the upper floor of the building in 1964. The Maraid des Cygnes Massacre site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.

Space Required/Quantity: [Not stated]

Title (Main title): Charles Hadsall house at the Marais des Cygnes Massacre State Historic Site, Linn County, Kansas

Locators:

No Locators Identified