Jump to Navigation

Display at the Marais des Cygnes Massacre State Historic Site, Linn County, Kansas

missing
View at Kansas Memory

Date: Between 1965 and 1975

Level of Description: Item

Material Type: Photograph

Call Number: FK2.L5 .93 *1

Unit ID: 228902

Summary: A black and white photograph of a display at the Marais des Cygnes Massacre State Historic Site in Linn County, Kansas. On May 19, 1858, Missouri border ruffian Charles Hamelton and some 30 other men rode through the village of Trading Post, Kansas, and captured 11 free-state men before marching them into a ravine where they opened fire upon them. Five of the men were killed, five were seriously injured, and one escaped unharmed.
John Brown, arriving at the scene toward the end of June, built a "fort" some 220 yards south of the ravine. The land on which the fort was built belonged to Eli Snider, a blacksmith. Later he sold it to Brown's friend Charles C. Hadsall, who agreed to let Brown occupy it for military purposes. Brown and his men withdrew at the end of the summer, leaving the fort to Hadsall.
In later years Hadsall, built a stone house adjoining the site of Brown's fort, enclosing the spring within the walls of the first floor. In 1941, the Kansas legislature authorized acceptance of the massacre site, including Hadsall's house, as a gift to the state from the Pleasanton Post Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1961, it provided funds for the restoration of the building, and in 1963, the entire property was turned over to the Kansas Historical Society for administration. A museum was established in the upper floor of the building in 1964.

Space Required/Quantity: [Not stated]

Title (Main title): Display at the Marais des Cygnes Massacre State Historic Site, Linn County, Kansas

Locators:

No Locators Identified