Jump to Navigation

Anderson County History Collection

Date: 1880 - 1940

Level of Description: Coll./Record Group

Material Type: Manuscripts

Call Number: Manuscripts Collection 664

Unit ID: 40664

Abstract: The collection consists of assembled materials from various sources providing information about the history of Anderson County, Kansas. It includes a pastor's register from Reverend A. O. Penniman, providing information about sermons he conducted; baptisms, marriages, and funerals her performed; communicats received; and other information, from the 1880s through the 1920s. There is also a letter dated 1940 from a Jno. H. Vaughn to George Root regarding names of early settlements in Anderson County.

Space Required/Quantity: .25 cf (1 box)

Title (Main title): Anderson County History Collection

Administrative History

Administrative History: Anderson County in eastern Kansas was established on August 25, 1855 and organized on January 07, 1856. It was named for Joseph C. Anderson, member of the territorial legislature and speaker pro tem of the House. Prior to 1854, the territory that became Anderson County was part of the Kansas Reserve of the Pottawatomie Indians, who were removed from Indiana in 1837 by the U.S. government. Their principal village was just across the northern boundary in Franklin County, at the place known as Dutch Henry's Crossing on Pottawatomie Creek. The first Euro-American settlement in the county began early in May, 1854, on what later became the site of the town of Greeley. During the 1850s, Anderson County was the site of many pro-slavery versus anti-slavery skirmishes, reflecting the Bleeding Kansas era.

The first town in the county was named Kansas City, and was located on Iantha Creek on the west half of section 27 and the east half of section 28, township 19 south, range 18 east. Dr. G.W. Cooper, from Louisville, Kentucky, laid out the town in May 1856; its name was soon changed to Iantha.

The town of Shannon, located in section 31, township 20, range 20 and named in honor of territorial governor Wilson Shannon, was named the county seat in 1856. The town was surveyed in 1857 by Dr. Preston Bowen, and construction of county buildings began, but in 1859 the county seat was removed to Garnett and the Shannon town site was soon abandoned.

Garnett is the county seat and largest city. Anderson County is twenty-four miles square. It is located in the second tier of counties west of Missouri, fifty miles south of the Kansas River and seventy miles north of Oklahoma. Townships include Indian Creek, Jackson, Lincoln, Lone Elm, Monroe, North Rich, Ozark, Putnam, Reeder, Rich, Union [now defunct], Walker, Washington, Welda, and Westphalia.

[Kansas State Historical Society. "Kansas Counties - Anderson County, Kansas." http://www.kshs.org/genealogists/places/counties.php?county=AN (accessed June 4, 2009).]

Scope and Content

Locators:

Locator Contents
007-12-07-10   

Index Terms

Subjects

    Anderson County (Kan.) -- Genealogy
    Anderson County (Kan.) -- History
    Cities and towns -- Kansas -- Anderson County
    Sermons, American -- Kansas -- Anderson County