Jump to Navigation


On July 1, 1953, KTVH, channel 12, signed on the air, among the early stations in Kansas. Primarily a CBS affiliate, the station was first operated in Hutchinson, designated by the H in the call letters. In 1954 a second studio was opened in Wichita. Cowles Communications of Des Moines, Iowa, purchased the station and completed the move to the Wichita area in 1956. A primary CBS affiliate, the station initially had the opportunity to program other network offerings until other local network affiliates were established in the market.

In 1962 the Federal Communications Commission defined western Kansas as part of the Wichita market. Cowles then purchased stations in Dodge City, Hays, and Goodland to create the Kansas Broadcasting System. In 1983 the stations were sold to Ross Beach and Bob Schmidt who changed the call letters to KWCH-TV.

Entry: KTVH

Author: Kansas Historical Society

Author information: The Kansas Historical Society is a state agency charged with actively safeguarding and sharing the state's history.

Date Created: January 2014

Date Modified: January 2016

The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.