Jump to Navigation

Valentine Diners - Kansas - Wichita 19

Exterior of Flo-Inn Wichita

  • Business name: Flo-Inn Cafe
  • Street address: Formerly at 2305 E. Central
  • Open / closed: Closed; moved to Pennsylvania
  • History: The Flo-Inn was originally a "Kings-X" restaurant at the intersection of Emporia and Harry streets in Wichita. It was purchased from Jimmie King in either 1948 or 1950 by Florence Fortnoy, who operated it into the late 1980s.
  • In its last years as an active diner, it was only open for breakfast. Flo kept the restaurant open for the benefit of the regular morning customers who had become like family. A full basement was underneath the diner. Flo Fortnoy once remarked that when the Valentine company got into financial trouble, the salesmen were always trying to get her to buy a new model. The diner was restored by the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) Museum in Hershey, Pennsylvania, where it can be seen on display.

  • Model / serial number: Aristocrat model with a Valentine-made addition on the back, used for storage. Serial numbers is 582.
  • Additional images:
    Exterior, side view
    Interior with Flo Fortnoy
    Interior with Flo and customers
    Interior, work station
    Interior, jukebox


Valentine company logoExplore the Valentine story:

Entry: Valentine Diners - Kansas - Wichita 19

Author: Kansas Historical Society

Author information: The Kansas Historical Society is a state agency charged with actively safeguarding and sharing the state's history.

Date Created: July 2014

Date Modified: July 2014

The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.