Jump to Navigation

Facet Browse

Built Environment (Remove)
Business and Industry -- Occupations/Professions -- Carpenters (Remove)
Business and Industry -- Occupations/Professions (Remove)
Type of Material -- Photographs (Remove)
Date (Remove)
Page 1 of 1, showing 8 records out of 8 total, starting on record 1, ending on 8

<< previous| | next >>

Title | Creator | Date Made Visible | None

Camp Funston, Fort Riley, Kansas

Holt, O.W.

This panoramic view shows civilian workers awaiting their pay at Camp Funston. The facility located on the Ft. Riley military reservation, named after Brigadier General Frederick Funston, was one of sixteen divisional cantonment training camps built during World War I to house and train soldiers for military duty. Construction began in July of 1917 as approximately 15,000 carpenters built buildings in city block squares. The number of buildings estimated to have been built at the camp, were from 2,800 to 4,000 to accommodate the over 40,000 soldiers from the U.S. Army's 89th Division that were stationed at the facility. After the war, Camp Funston became a "mustering-out" center as soldiers prepared to return to civilian life. In 1924, the military decommissioned the 2,000 acre site with the dismantling of the buildings.

previewthumb

Souvenir folder of Camp Funston, Kansas, and the workman who built it

Bloom, Moses

This souvenir folder on Camp Funston includes a color photo of home of Major General Woods; a panoramic view of the camp on the Ft. Riley military reservation near Junction City, Kansas; a view of some of the troops, the first territorial capitol of Kansas; troops on a pontoon bridge; mounted troops; a panoramic photograph of the the civilian workers who built the camp; and the Union Pacific railroad station at Camp Funston. There is also a listing of the accomplishments of the first six months of the war. The facility, named after Brigadier General Frederick Funston, was one of sixteen divisional cantonment training camps built during World War I to house and train soldiers for military duty. Construction began in July of 1917 as approximately 15,000 carpenters built buildings in city block squares. The number of buildings estimated to have been erected at the camp were from 2,800 to 4,000 to accommodate the over 40,000 soldiers from the U.S. Army's 89 Division that were stationed at the facility. After the war, Camp Funston became a "mustering-out" center as soldiers prepared to return to civilian life. In 1924, the military decommissioned the 2,000 acre site and dismantled the buildings.

previewthumb

Carpenters in Plains, Kansas

This black and white photograph shows carpenters building a two-story brick structure in Plains, Kansas. In the foreground to the right, the following is visible written across the metal container "Manufactured by Nelson, MFG & Supply Company, Hutchinson, Kansas".

previewthumb

John Christoph photograph album

This album contains photographs of Ellinwood and Barton County, Kansas, taken by John Christoph. On June 18, 1891, he opened a photography gallery in the north room of a furniture store and continued in the business until February 14, 1919. Christoph also served as the Ellinwood police judge for twenty years.

previewthumb

L. W. Halbe collection

Halbe, L. W. (Leslie Winfield), 1893-1981

The L. W. (Leslie Winfield) Halbe photo collection consists of 1500 glass plate negatives produced by Halbe during his teenage years. Halbe lived in Dorrance, Russell County, Kansas, and began taking photographs of the region with an inexpensive Sears and Roebuck camera when he was fifteen years old.

previewthumb

Church construction

This black and white photograph shows a view of four men seated on the roof or bell tower of a large stone church that is under construction. Also visible are a ladder, a utility pole and power lines, and construction materials in piles along the side and front of the building. The name and location of the church is not known.

previewthumb

Alma Sale Pavilion in Alma, Kansas

Black and white photograph of the sale pavilion in Alma, Kansas. It was located near the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway depot on the east edge of town. In later years, the building was used for drying whey created in the production of cheese. In this view, carpenters appear to be nearing completion of the building.

previewthumb

Carpenters building a home

This photograph shows six carpenters building a wood-framed house and four barefoot children standing in a group by the work bench. Also visible are saws, lumber, nail box, window frame, wood plane, work bench, saw horses, and construction site rubbish.

previewthumb
<< previous| | next >>

Built Environment

Business and Industry -- Occupations/Professions

Type of Material -- Photographs

Date

Agriculture

Business and Industry

Collections

Community Life

Education

Environment

Government and Politics

Home and Family

Military

Objects and Artifacts

People

Places

Thematic Time Period

Transportation

Type of Material